Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop sees dvd/cdrom as local disc

• Please log in to reply

budm

budm

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi hope I am in the correct place for this question.
I have a toshiba 2595xdvd laptop. Windows ME.

I had to manually delete some files to de-install something. When I got done, I had 2 problems: DNS error (which I managed to correct), & now in my computer, it shows disc D, my dvd/cdrom drive as a local disc. The icon even changed.

In device manager properties cdrom shows working properly, drivers updated etc, but in performance, it shows there as operating in ms dos compatibilty mode.

In device manager, it does not show as local disc D, it still shows as cdrom drive toshiba sd-c2102
If I click drive D in my computer, it pops up w a message "D;\ refers to a location which is unavailable"...etc.
If I pop in a cd, same pop up.

I have powerdvd in this, & I can play a dvd in file mode, if I create a playlist from it, so I believe the drive is good, especially since it worked before the files got deleted. If I pop in a dvd, & go to dvd mode, it shows "no disc in drive" through powerdvd. Eject does not work through powerdvd, but it does from right click menu on drive D.

If anyone is wondering what I deleted, & what started all this, it was zonealarm security version 6 point something, which seems to be a big problem all over, look at their boards. I followed their clean uninstall directions to a T

I'm pretty much a beginner with computers, have not found any references to this sort of problem after days and days of googling.

Can anyone pint me in the right direction please?

thanks, bud

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Have you tried deleting Drive D in Device manager? Just delete and confirm, then restart your laptop. Windows should re-detect it and install the correct drivers. Hopefully, it will correct the icon problem in my computer.

Good luck!

budm

budm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for replying.
Yes I have tried removing it a gazillion times, in safe mode too. It just re-appears, without ever being "detected"

Whatever the trouble is, it looks like it will take a real guru to figure it out. I have googled & read tons of troubleshooting pages and forums, tried everything under the sun, including having it physically disconnected & removed as well as from device manager and rebooted etc.

I have not seen this sort of thing mentioned anywhere.

So how about it, any gurus out there?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
budm,

warning - I am not a guru.

I had to manually delete some files to de-install something.

was any cd/dvd burning software removed? if so, try deleting the upper and lower filters.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=320553

bdlt