Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:01 AM
Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:04 AM
We'll need to know a bit more about your system.
1. Please download, install Adaware SE Personal - it's free from here
2. After installing Ad-aware, you will be prompted to update the program and run a full scan. De-select all boxes so that it does not run - we need to change a few settings first.
3. Manually run "Ad-Aware SE Personal" and from the main screen Click on "Check for Updates Now".
4. Once the definitions have been updated:
5. Reconfigure Ad-Aware for Full Scan as per the following instructions:
- Launch the program, and click on the Gear at the top of the start screen.
- Under General Settings the following boxes should all be checked off:
- "Automatically save logfile"
- "Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal"
- Safe Mode (always request confirmation)
- Prompt to update outdated confirmation) - Change to 7 days.
- Click the "Scanning" button (On the left side).
- Under Drives & Folders, select "Scan within Archives"
- Click "Click here to select Drives + folders" and select your installed hard drives.
- Under Memory & Registry, select all options.
- Click the "Advanced" button (On the left hand side).
- Under "Shell Integration", select "Move deleted files to Recycle Bin".
- Under "Log-file detail", select all options.
- Click on the "Defaults" button on the left.
- Type in the full url of what you want as your default homepage and searchpage e.g. http://www.google.com.
- Click the "Tweak" button (Again, on the left hand side).
- Expand "Scanning Engine" by clicking on the "+" (Plus) symbol and select the following:
[o] "Unload recognized processes during scanning."
[o] "Obtain command line of scanned processes"
[o] "Scan registry for all users instead of current user only"
- Under "Cleaning Engine", select the following:
[o] "Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion."
[o] "During removal, unload explorer and IE if necessary"
[o] "Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot."
[o] "Delete quarrantined objects after restoring"
- Click on "Safety Settings" and select "Write-protect system files after repair (Hosts file, etc)"
- Click on "Proceed" to save these Preferences.
- Click on the "Scan Now" button on the left.
- Under "Select Scan Mode, be sure to select "Use Custom Scanning Options"
7. Click on "Next" in the bottom right corner to start the scan.
8. Run the Ad-Aware scan and allow it to remove everything it finds in the Critical Objects screen and then REBOOT - Even if not prompted to.
9. After you log back in, Ad-Aware may run to finalize the scan and remove any locked files that it may of found. Allow it to finish.
After completing the Adaware scan download HijackThis from this page - about halfway down.
Put HijackThis into its own folder and open the program. Click on the "Do System Scan and Save Log File"
The log file will open in Notepad. Go to Edit in Notepad and click on Select All then go to Edit > Copy. Come back to this thread and paste the whole log into this thread. This will help us see what is happening on your computer.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users