Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my webcam freezes up my mouse

• Please log in to reply

Walker

Walker

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
My webcam is a Creative, and I am running on XP sp2. Whenever I start a video feed on any of the programs that I have tried (cuseeme, paltalk, and the creative program), my mouse freezes up within seconds and the video feed pauses. My computer is still active, and I can switch between applications with my keyboard, but that is about it :) I really need to resolve this program, trying to video chat with some old friends of mine.

Thanks for your time! Any suggestions appreciated. :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is it a usb camera? usb mouse? do you have a ps2 mouse to test if the issue continues(if it's a usb mouse of course)? have you updated the drivers for the camera? for the mouse?

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Both products mentioned are USB, iI don't think I have ps2 mouse. I've updated all drivers.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
any ideas? thx!

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic-USB WebCam & USB Mouse Conflict
Date- 25th Oct-2005

Removed the double post - [Mouse Stuttered]

Edited by Jack123, 25 October 2005 - 07:56 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic-USB WebCam & USB Mouse Conflict
Date- 25th Oct-2005

There seems to be a conflict – USB is supposed to eliminate these things - But - - - -

Turn your mouse over & look at Nameplate – Does it say [USB Compatible and PS2 Compatible] – If it does – Then you have a [Hybrid] Type mouse – You should have a [USB-PS2] Adapter that will convert your mouse to PS2 – (This adapter should have been packaged in with the Mouse) -

But will only work if it is – [PS2 Compatible and USB Compatible] –

You will need to [Disable] the – [USB Legacy Mouse Support] in the [Integrated Peripherals] Section in the BIOS -

Also I would recommend – Uninstalling the USB Mouse Driver – using [Device Manager] to free up the Shared IRQ Resource –

This would be the simplest – Work Around – Only if your mouse is a [Hybrid] – If this option doesn’t work – then we will give you other options –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 25 October 2005 - 07:55 PM.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I figured I could get an adapter, I lost the one that came with this one. There is no other way to fix this you think? I hate to give in and have to go to radioshack.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's not the only way to fix it...and i would like to get it to where you can use both as usb...but if you can borrow a ps/2 mouse...then we can narrow down the problem...if it doesn't freeze with a ps/2 mouse...then...you've got a usb conflict...if it does...well...then it's something else

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic-USB WebCam & USB Mouse Conflict-(2)
Dqte- 26th Oct-2005

I said it would be the simplest – [Did not realize – that adapter would be lost] – These conflicts are easier (??) to solve when you narrow the [Problem’s Playing Field] – I thought that by using the adapter – it would be a [Cheap & easy & immediate] way out – to get your web cam functioning NOW – Then we could ferret out the [Real Problem] with less frustration – and permit time to set up a game plan -

Jack123

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
i needed to use the cam really bad so i went out and finally bought an adapter. now the problem has changed slightly, the cam still freezes after a couple minutes or so of playback through any program. once it does this, it will not work again for those couple of minutes until you restart the computer.

so now my mouse doesn't freeze, but the cam still does.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
i've tried just about everything at this point, this is horrible :tazz: