Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microphone set up

• Please log in to reply

cb_bratt

cb_bratt

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried to search for this subject, sorry if this has already been inquired about.
I'm having trouble using my mic for my computer (running on windows XP). The headphones work but the mic does not. I've been getting extremely frustrated with not having a voice when speaking with my wonderful mother on MSN. She does all the talking and I just listen & type! :)

Apparently it SHOULD work on my system since the jack where you plug it in are all there. I've followed all the troubleshooting instructions via e-mail with the mic manufacturer and still haven't any luck. Below I've listed the instructions I've tried so far.

Go to start/programs/access/entertainment/open volume control & make sure nothing is muted and your vols are up 3/4 of the way.

Then go to options/properties and when it opens playback will be selected so look down below in the boxed area "show the following volume controls" and see if mic is selected if so, then unselect it.

Then select recording under playback and now look down below and see if mic is checked off if so, then select ok at the bottom of the page.

In the next window (recording) find the mic column with balance underneath and make sure the volume is up. If you have a box that says "select" next to it, make sure it is checked off.

There was also some info on some "advanced" settings. The "Advanced Controls" are greyed out from the Options menu in volume/recording control.

[color=#33CCFF]Now look down below and if you see the word "advanced" please select it. If not, then go to options/adavanced controls and now see if it appears, if not then close the window you are finished here. Otherwise, select it then it will put you into the (advanced recording) window.

In this window it will say something about "tone controls" above and usually they are grayed out but look down below and see if you have 1 mic boost, if so then select it. If you hear feedback from your speakers then unselect it. If you don't have it that's ok.

Also, check to see if you have "alternative mic or mic 2 to select". If so, then make sure they are not selected this may imply you have a built in mic and you need to consult with the software tech for further instructions.

Note: If you have AGC selected turn it off, most of the time this is the cause of way your mic will not work. I do not know what it means you may want to consult with the software tech to find out.

Then close the window you are finished here.

Please help! :tazz:

Advertisements

Hardhead

Hardhead

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
Hello cb_bratt,

First you need to install Speech Recognition.

Install speech recognition
If you recently purchased a new computer, the Microsoft speech recognition engine might have been installed by the computer manufacturer. No further installation is necessary. If you installed Microsoft Office XP, or if you purchased a new computer with it installed, the speech recognition engine is included, but might not be installed. Follow one of the instructions below to install it.

To determine if the speech recognition engine is installed

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Speech.
If the Speech Recognition tab is available in Speech Properties, the speech recognition engine is installed. If it is not available, the engine is not installed.

To install speech recognition from Microsoft Word 2002

Open Microsoft Word.
On the Tools menu, click Speech.
Speech recognition is now available in all Office programs as well as other programs for which it is enabled, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer.

To install speech recognition using Add or Remove Programs

Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Click Change or Remove Programs, click Microsoft Office XP, and then click Change.
Click Add or Remove Features, and then click Next.
Under Features to install, double-click Office Shared Features.
Double-click Alternative User Input, click Speech, click the down arrow, and then click Run from My Computer.
Click Update.

Important

Speech recognition engines are language-specific. The first three Microsoft speech engines that are available are Simplified Chinese, U.S. English, and Japanese. Engines for other languages will become available.

Notes

To open Add or Remove Programs, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.

If you are using a tablet computer, you can use Tablet PC Input Panel for handwriting and speech tasks. For more information about Input Panel, click Related Topics.
For more detailed information about using speech recognition, click the Help button on the Language bar.

To set up a microphone

Microphones vary greatly in design and purpose. They will continue to develop and become more specialized. Consult the microphone manual for hardware and software specifics; however, most models install in a similar fashion.
  • Locate the sound connections and connect the microphone jack to the computer. Most computers use an internal sound card and often the connections will be in the back of the system.
  • These will be a series of connections the same size and diameter as the microphone jack. One will be labeled as the microphone connection, either with a small icon that looks like a microphone or explicitly labeled as such.
  • Plug the microphone into that connection.
To test the connection:
  • Open Speech in Control Panel.
  • Select the Speech Recognition tab.
  • Speak directly into the microphone. The sound level should register in the Microphone Level indicator.
To configure the microphone

Getting the best results from your microphone depends on a variety of factors including the distance from mouth to microphone and correct positioning of the microphone. Each manufacturer addresses specific requirements.
  • Open Speech in Control Panel.
  • On the Speech Recognition tab, click Configure Microphone; the Microphone Wizard appears. The features supported are dependent on the manufacturer of the engine. Follow the instructions in the wizard. Configure Microphone is available only if the current engine supports microphone training.

XP is your friend too cb_bratt.

All of this information is in the Help and Support Center.

Click Start and Help and Support and type in Microphone in the seach box. :tazz:

cb_bratt

cb_bratt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey hardhead,
thanks for the reply. speech recognition was already installed. i followed some directions from help & support but still cannot get my voice to be recognized. any other suggestions?
i thought this was supposed to be simple, like plug in and go. can't figure out why i'm having so much trouble. usually pretty good with these things.
thanks, cb_bratt

Hardhead

Hardhead

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
Sometime mics go bad, I had one that did and had the same problem.
I would also see if you have another place to plugin mic and see if that helps.
I always use the one on the back of system. Mine has 2, one in front and one in back.
I would suggest trying another mic or the above.