Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Temp. folders in xp home

• Please log in to reply

Linda Thomas

Linda Thomas

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I know how to delete files in win. 98 but am lost in xp. I have a temp. folder in my programs folder which is always empty...In Windows program I have temp. folder that has IE5..these folders are: FHLWNIHW..GSB215IA..LQBUMD9M..02HZ7XPI...Index data file 32kb...Should I delete these? My computer has become slow..would this help? I am afraid to delete something without help from someone smarter than me...Thanks!

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello

There are folders in C:\Program files that are always empty, there are work arounds to delete them, but it can do harm your computer. Microsoft has decided that it dose not what you to be able to remove them. Silly, yes I know but true.

The best idea for emptying temp folders is to get a program like CCleaner and that is best to use because it delete every thing that should be delete and nothing that sould not.

Haveing lots of stuff will not slow your computer dowm much. There are lots of tips on what you can do in Easy XP Tweaks

Hope this helps.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 25 October 2005 - 08:20 PM.