Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Date Execution Problem

• Please log in to reply

ComputerJoe

ComputerJoe

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi,

I've got a problem with Windows XP Home (SP2). Whenever I access My Documents I get a 'Data Execution Prevention' window up, which forces Windows Explorer to close.

If you care less when you send an error report the error signature is:

EventType : BEX P1 : explorer.exe P2 : 6.0.2900.2180 P3 : 41107ece
P4 : unknown P5 : 0.0.0.0 P6 : 00000000 P7 : 01ba81f0
P8 : c0000005 P9 : 00000008

I'd appreciate it if you could me. Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Data Execution Prevention (DEP) helps prevent damage from viruses and other security threats that attack by running (executing) malicious code from memory locations that only Windows and other programs should use. This type of threat causes damage by taking over one or more memory locations in use by a program. Then it spreads and harms other programs, files, and even your e-mail contacts.

Unlike a firewall or antivirus program, DEP does not help prevent harmful programs from being installed on your computer. Instead, it monitors your programs to determine if they use system memory safely. To do this, DEP software works alone or with compatible microprocessors to mark some memory locations as "non-executable". If a program tries to run code—malicious or not—from a protected location, DEP closes the program and notifies you.

DEP can take advantage of software and hardware support. To use DEP, your computer must be running Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later. DEP software alone helps protect against certain types of malicious code attacks but to take full advantage of the protection that DEP can offer, your processor must support "execution protection". This is a hardware-based technology designed to mark memory locations as non-executable. If your processor does not support hardware-based DEP, it's a good idea to upgrade to a processor that offers execution protection features.

Click start, right click my computer, click properties then advanced, click settings on performance then data execution to change the way it runs

ComputerJoe

ComputerJoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks, he he.. I use the Classsic Start Menu. Hopefully it should do the job.

Edited by JoeTheCoolOne, 26 October 2005 - 06:57 AM.