Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UPS(uninterruptable power supply) questions, need help!

• Please log in to reply

RyGuy

RyGuy

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
All right, in the past 6 months or so I have burned out a very good Antec power supply and then another power supply that was a cheapo, so I've determined that I'm going to need to get a UPS to try and resolve this problem. I have purchased a chiefmax 650w PSU to put into my system(another fairly cheap PSU). My questions are:
#1) Why are my power supplies getting burned out over and over? The last one you could even smell it burning after it went bad. The 550w should of been enough to power my system.
#2) Which UPS should I think about buying, and how many watts or VA is enough? I have no knowledge of UPS's at all. I had an electrition come to my house and tell me the outlet I have in my bedroom is not grounded(the one my pc is hooked up to), will the UPS correct this?

Here are the specs on my system and what I will be connecting to the same outlet

Computer:
Athlon XP 3000+ Barton
1GB(2x512MB) Corsair XMS PC3200XL
120GB 7200RPM WD Caviar Hard Drive
250GB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive
16x DVD-RW Drive
52x CD-RW Drive
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(MAJOR POWER EATER)
650W Power Supply Unit

Other things sharing the same outlet:
21" monitor
?300? watt speakers
kodak easyshare camera dock
4 port netgear router

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
UPS will enable you to save documents then shut the PC off in the event of a power failure

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/UPS-HOWTO/

The filtering may help your power supplies

If you know the insides of a PC then check the wiring as well

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Let me add this, the ups won't correct the outlet being ungrounded and the ups as well as the computer needs a ground. With that said I doubt a ungrounded outlet would burn up a psu but what the ups will do as Keith said is filter the incoming current and correct it so it will help.

I think you are making a mistake going with cheap psu's with that system, it ain't only the high watts that are important but amps as well and it was not the Antecs fault it burnt up if inadequate voltage was not supplied in fact it may have saved the other parts of your computer were a "cheapo" is not capable of doing that.

Rick

Edited by Doby, 26 October 2005 - 07:10 PM.