Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Keep Freezing

• Please log in to reply

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
After the second drive butr im pretty sure it all goes 2 the first 1 bc it does it atoumatically

-Mike

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The big question...

Did you install (or reinstall) the operating system after installing the new drive?

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Uhm i dont know wat u mean like did i reinstall XP after installing the new drive... Dont think i did but it was a very long time ago.. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry about all the questions, Mike...I just don't want to have you format a drive and then find out that we did the wrong drive. I'm still not sure...your data could be on either...or both. Your call... :tazz:

wannabe1

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
is ther some way 2 check??

-Mike

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes and no...you could open the case and look.

The C drive (or Primary Master) will be connected to the end of the Ribbon...the other end would connect to the motherboard to the IDE connector with the lowest number. (Some are marked IDE-0 and IDE-1...some are marked IDE-1 and IDE-2.) You may be able to tell which is the new drive by looking (you may have to pull the drive and get the make and model from the label to be sure), but we still won't know where the data is. :)

Your best option is still to install a new drive... :tazz:

wannabe1

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
So buy a new driver :) :) thats like lotz of money.... :tazz:

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I rather just take a chance... :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I picked up an 80GB Maxtor at Staples a while back for $49.95...there are deals out there. You should be able to get a pretty substantial drive for less than $100, Still your call....

Edited by wannabe1, 27 October 2005 - 08:07 PM.

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I rather take a chance other then buying a whole new one when i just got a new one i hardly use... :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We're thinking...stand by. Fenor is looking at the situation with me.... :tazz:

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Kk thats good :tazz: I really appreciate ur help so far guys :) :)

-Mike

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Lol, sorry for taking so long to reply, but Internet decided to take a dump all of a sudden and had to go reset router and modem. I just hope after everything I type here that the Internet is still working when I click ADD REPLY. :tazz:

As I was saying to wannabe1, when you put the XP CD in and you get to the screen where it shows your drives and partitions, it will show the sizes and names of the drives. If by chance you named them, like mine are named DRIZZT and BIG MOFO. I do that for just the reason that I may possibly find myself in this situation and forget which is which hehe.

Also, have you you tried logging into your Windows installation using the recovery console? If not, and are you able to, log into your windows installation, then type D: and then DIR. Verify the folders/files are there that you remember, and also not the SIZE of the drive so you can notice it when looking at the partitions/drivers listed in xp setup. If you have files you want to save from your C drive (which you are going to reformat), then you will have to copy them from C: to D: by using the syntax: copy filename.ext D:. You can also make folders on D to save things too by type D: and the ENTER and then once at the D prompt, type md foldername.

I really haven't read through every single post from this topic since there's over 50 lol, so I don't know if you are or are not able to get into the Recovery Console, but figured I would add my two cents about that anyways.

Good luck!

Fenor

MikeR005

MikeR005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
So when i put the CD in and I go to boot from disk it goes 2 a blue screen and wat do i press wat do i do to get yto wat ur talking about :tazz:

-Mike

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Can he slave the drives in another PC, if only to establish what is on which

Possibly he could shuffle the data so he has one drive he can erase the refit

From Keith.

This is definitely an option if you have access to another machine...Such as the one you are on now????

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 27 October 2005 - 08:37 PM.