Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ALL programmes gone

• Please log in to reply

richardparker

richardparker

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
...well not 100%...

late last night i was trying to find some files and messed about with 'hidden/read only' check boxes within a directory when trying to locate a file. Additionally at the same time i was installing the latest real player.

Since then the computer seems to have lost the majority of the programmes. When i hit start, then all programmes there are hardly any there...
there is adobe, avg, games, anti spyware, mozilla, but no office, no other programmes that I have on there...the majoriy have gone basically and when i run mozilla it doesnt work either...

reasonably convinced that it is something to do with the changes i made to the hidden/read only files but not sure what to do now...

Additionally icons on my desktop are all faint as if you have cut them...when i double click on them it does find word and opens them but whith a different file name and in read only...

all assistance appreciated,,,

thanks for your help

Richard

Advertisements

aguillar

aguillar

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Try rolling back XP using system restore

richardparker

richardparker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
where do i get the system restore from please? sorry for the dumb q...

richardparker

richardparker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
when trying to get into firefox i get the following msg...

could not initialize browsers security component. the most likely cause is problems with files in the browsers profile directory. check directory has no read/write restrictions'

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

where do i get the system restore from please? sorry for the dumb q...

Go to Start - help and support - undo chages to your computer with System Restore.
You can manage system restore settings on rt click of my computer - properties - sytem restore

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may not need to use system restore. Open any folder, choose View>Folder Options, go to Advanced, change the setting for hidden files and folders, then go to the folder you're concerned about, which should be visible, click on Properties, then unhide it. Do the same for any files that may remain hidden that you want to be visible.

richardparker

richardparker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks...have done the restore as the other idea didnt work but it is still showing all desktop icons in half colour and still gives the same message when i open firefox etc...havent checked everything but it still doesnt seem to be working as it was 100%

any ideas...cheers