Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No POST

• Please log in to reply

aguillar

aguillar

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thought I would upgrade my old socket A system on an Asus A7m266 from an Athlon 1400 to an AthlonXP1800+ as the slightly faster chip was handy. Should have left it alone as it as all gone horribly wrong!
Blank screen on inserting the 1800 cpu, everything powers up but no POST. Replaced the old 1400 CPU and still no POST. Cursed a lot and bought a new mobo, Abit KV7, still no POST with either cpu. Swapped to another stick of RAM, still no POST.
Have tried both CPUs in another machine with 3 different sticks of RAM, still no POST.

Question:
Have I killed both CPUs?
or
Have I killed all 3 sticks of RAM?
or
Have I killed all 3 motherboards?
or
Other...

Suggestions please?
Many thanks!
Ag

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
How about your power supply? You may have exceeded it's limits. Is this in an HP, they have pretty small supplies.

aguillar

aguillar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Same problem with three different power supplies. 2 of them Enermaxes.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I seem to remember a jumper on that board for cpu types. Also, put your old system back but reset your BIOS, you can just take the battery out for a minute or so.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i agree with tyger...when putting a new cpu into an existing board y ou have to reset the bios...you may need to move the jumper on the board to fully reset it....taking the battery out doesn't always work..just follow the instructions in the manual..or post back here with the model number so we can find you instructions.

aguillar

aguillar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have tried resetting the bios - in all 3 motherboards + taking the bios batteries out, pressing insert on power on, and a dozen other tricks. I have tried everything and know that at least 2 components are dead, my quest is to find out which ones!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Have you considerd it could be a bad video card and have you tried another?

If you have tell us on witch board

Rick

aguillar

aguillar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I had tried 3 different video cards...

Managed to get hold of another cpu this morning and that did the trick. I believe the answer to the question was therefore 2 dad cpus. Just one more chip to buy and I hope to have 2 complete systems once more.

Thanks for suggestions
Ag