Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Control panel won't work - and more

• Please log in to reply

jte6

jte6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Nope, didn't work. One of the sites that won't display at all is comcast.net. I put that in and clicked "allow" but when I try to go to the site, I get the same error message, whic is, "Comcast.net may have a conflict with your Internet security." The other sites will load, just not work correctly in Internet Explorer. One is my yahoo mail. I can read mail ok, but can't click to delete or reply. Both of those sites, comcast.net and my yahoo mail work just fine if I'm using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Since all this started at the same time, I'm just assuming it's all connected to my problems with Control Panel and System Restore in System Tools.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's play with the IE problem a little before we go after the file off the cd.

Go the Control Panel and open Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to Internet Explorer, select it, and click "Remove". In the dialog box that appears, tick the radio button labeled "Repair" and click "Ok". Follow the on-screen instructions.

wannabe1

jte6

jte6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I can't do anything with my control panel. When I click on Control panel , the window does open up, but is totally blank. I've tried clicking on the "view" tab and trying everything in there - large icons, small icons, list, details - but I still have a blank page. I click on "folders" and all that comes up is 'dial-up networking,' 'scanners and cameras' and 'scheduled tasks.' That's it, although on the bottom left it does tell me that there are 33 objects there. So I can't get to Add/remove at all.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
jte6...

Sorry...forgot that little detail. Download and install IE6 SP1 from this page and install it. See if that helps your problem.

wannabe1

bjay

bjay

• Pip
  • 7 posts
You can add a toolbar for control panel by right clicking on task bar, toolbars, add new, point to control panel under my computer. That will allow you to access your icons.

jte6

jte6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, two things. First I was able to view my Control Panel by putting it in the task bar. Now when I click on it from that location, I can see all my icons. Second, I downloaded the IE6 setup and it downloaded ok. But when I try to install it, I get a message partway through that says, "Setup cannot continue because files are missing from the installation directory. please run setup again and choose resume setup. This will download the missing files and continue setup." So, I did all that MANY TIMES - but I get the same message each time. It won't install.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok....

Try removing or rpairing the IE using the method I described in my earlier. If that fails, do it again EXCEPT choose the option to "Restore the previous Windows configuration". Then try to download IE6 from Windows Update.

Note...this may make your computer look like it's running in Safe Mode until IE is installed and you restart your machine.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 31 October 2005 - 03:06 PM.

jte6

jte6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I went to Add/Remove and removed "Internet Explorer" but I didn't get any dialogue box with the buton labeled Repair. All I got was a screen prompting me to restart my computer which I did. I went back to Add/Remove programs and "Internet Explorer' is no longer there, but 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools" is still there. I haven't tried to remove that. If I do and no Repair button pops up, what happens then? Do I lose Internet Explorer entirely? I still have Firefox so I can access the internet, but I'll probably want Internet Explorer, too.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, select it and click "Remove". You should be prompted to accept the action...that's where the options are (you can cancel the operation from this window, as well). Try the repair first and let me know how you fare.

wannabe1

jte6

jte6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It worked!!! You are a GENIUS! Thankyouthankyouthankyou. I have my control panel back - i can get to system tools and system restore; so far the sites I've checked (comcast.net, yahoo mail) are all working!
Whatever they're paying you, it's not enough - seriously,though, I really appreciate all your help and advice.
Thanks,
Julie

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad I could help! :tazz:

wannabe1

GeorgePar

GeorgePar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had basically the same problem on our Dell 8100. (ie. the control panel doesn't display the files even though the files are there). I tried your suggestions that were recommended and they corrected tthe problem. I just wanted you all to know that you not only fix the autjor's problems with your expertise but that you help many others. I for one want to THANK YOU VERY MUCH.:tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi GeorgePar...

Thank you for posting with your results. It's always nice to find out that we have helped someone else through our efforts! :tazz:

wannabe1