Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help W/ DSL Modem Connections

• Please log in to reply

jbmay

jbmay

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I live in MA, my Dad lives in NY. For years we have played golf over the internet (Links LS 1998). I have always had a Comcast broadband cable connection. My Dad had a AOL dial-up connection and we were always able to play by connecting via the internet using our TCP/IP addresses. He recently changed over to Verizon DSL and uses a Westell 6100 Modem. Ever since he changed, we have not been able to connect. Are there any settings that need to be changed anywhere? Does this modem allow these type of connections? I can do many things in the computer, but after trying to check all kinds of settings I can't figure this one out. PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks,
jbmay

Edited by jbmay, 27 October 2005 - 08:25 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can set your router DMZ host or open the proper ports also there may be a built in firewall. Im not the best with this kinda stuff though post in the networking forum they know there stuff when it comes to routers and the interent.

zywex

zywex

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I'm with verizon. In regards to the 6100 there aren't any security settings (by default) that would affect that such. However, when you went through the VOL install CD (If it worked...) it may have set up something. Other then the firewall I'm not to sure what might be affecting that. Any westell info can be found at westell.com, there's a section for *.pdf manuals that should help you tweak it.