Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

From Cleaning to Broken! (please Help!)

• Please log in to reply

orionflame

orionflame

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello everyone, This is my problem, my pc said my processor was at tempetures in access of 105 degrees (f) so I shut it down and preceeded to clean the 3 fans inside the unit. After cleaning the fans I plugged her back in and went to start her up and this is where the problem begins. Once I reconnected and hit power the pc turns on, no error codes sounds like its beggining to boot windows but I have NO display, there is no picture coming into the monitor. The pc recognizes that its connected to a monitor but there is no picture! if anyone out there can help me I welcome any suggestions! This is very important to me I use this pc for education the one I am on currently is much much to slow to meet the requirements of my needs for school etc. (slow-166 mhz 64 mb ram manufactured in 1997!-slow) I'd like to pre thank you all for your help hope to hear from you a.s.a.p. : ) thanks again

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
The most likely explaination (assuming you weren't bristling with static when cleaning), is that while potting around the motherboard, you mananged to bump something.

I'd suggest dissconnecting everything from the motherboard, then reconnect just the power supply, take out all expansion cards and reseat the video card, also reseat the RAM. Then see if you can boot to BIOS, if OK keep reattaching components.

When you say no error code sounds, do you get the one short beep that (usually) indicates a successful boot?

orionflame

orionflame

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
there isnt any beep when it boots normally, and I tried to disconnect all the drives and cards and take the ram and still nothing

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hiya:
Try Re-inserting your video card make sur that it is nice and tight and or make sure your ram is seated down properlly.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi orionflame!

What I suggest you do, is take out the CMOS batter (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel), and also disconnect the power from the back of the computer. Leave the battery and plug out for at least 5 minutes. Then when you come back to reconnect them, hit the power button a few times to make sure the CMOS is cleared and then reconnect the cmos battery and power cord. Then boot up the computer.

Fenor