Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Address blocking?

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
piggyprobe...

Hold off a little bit on downloading IE SP1...

AV = Anti Virus program. Do you remember what version of Norton you uninstalled? There are a few removal tools we can run to get what's left of the Norton off the machine, but some of them are pretty version specific.

If you have two active firewalls on the machine, turn one of them off. I'd turn the Windows firewall off as the sygate one offers a little better protection. Running two firewalls at the same time can cause issues when trying to access websites.

Then open Internet Explorer, Click on Tools and then on Internet Options. Under the "General" tab, click on "Delete Cookies" and then "Delete Files". This will effectively give you a "fresh start" when surfing to the sites you want to go to.

Try the site you are having trouble with...if you still can't access it, turn off the sygate firewall and turn the Windows one on and try again.

Let me know if this helps...

wannabe1

Advertisements

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
wannabe1,

I haven't posted a HJ log in this particular thread...where'd you find it?

Also, I have run online norton scans in the past, but never had the full version installed on my machine. I've run symantic in the past, then McAfee, not Norton as I had previously stated. My bad on that one...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
piggyprobe...

I looked at the last HJT log you posted in the Malware Forum...spotted some Symantec (Norton) entries in it.

Is your McAfee just an AV scanner, or does it have a firewall in it, too? Did you say you have trouble accessing those sites with Firefox as well as IE?

wannabe1

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I'm just using McAfee as my AV. I don't have the firewall or spam protection installed.

and you are correct - I cannot access those sites with either IE or FF.

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
the sygate firewall is new - just added over the weekend. I've turned off the windows fire wall, cleared my cookies & offline content - still no luck. Any ideas?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
piggyprobe...

Get this Microsoft download of IE6 SP1...save it to your Desktop.

Then, using the file you just downloaded...Use the Run Command and add the /Q switch

So, click Start, then Run...use the browse button to find the ie6setup.exe file, select it, and you will have this in your run line...C:\Documents and Settings\ username\Desktop\ie6setup.exe...Press "Enter"...add /Q so you'll now have C:\Documents and Settings\ username\Desktop\ie6setup.exe /Q (Note the space before /Q)...Press "Enter"

Internet Explorer and Outlook will reinstall...you will not lose your settings, BUT, you will need to run Windows Update.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 01 November 2005 - 07:22 PM.

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
ok. Start>Run>(browse to desktop)"C:\Documents and Settings\Heidi and Ryan\Desktop\ie6setup.exe"

After doing this I hit enter, then Run to install.

Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.

Setup cannot continue.

Start>Run>(browse to desktop)"C:\Documents and Settings\Heidi and Ryan\Desktop\ie6setup.exe /Q"

Windows cannot find )"C:\Documents and Settings\Heidi and Ryan\Desktop\ie6setup.exe /Q". Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again.

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Does anybody have a clue as to what might be the problem?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Have you tried installing iesetup.exe by just double-clicking on it? I don't know what the /Q thing is about. But try just double-clicking on it and reinstalling IE6.

And also disable all firewalls, just to see if it will work.

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Disabling my firewall does not help. Here's what happens when I try to install IE. Not sure how reinstalling IE would solve the problem as FireFox is effected the same way.

Attached Thumbnails

• IE_Setup.jpg

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
After reviewing the entire thread, I feel that the next step would be to download Trojan Hunter and run some scans. Here is the link to TrojanHunter:

http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/

After installing it, it will ask to if you'd like to download the latest detection rules. Tell it yes. When the updates are complete, and the final screen is displayed, uncheck Launch TrojanHunter Guard and then click on finish. When the program starts, click on continue evaluation. In the window that says Select Folders to scan, uncheck all except for your hard drive (should be C:). Now click on Full Scan.

When the scan is done, click on check all and then click on clean. When it is done cleaning, in the menu at the top, click on File > Save Scan Report. Save it to the desktop as "TrojanHunter scan". Copy the results and include them into your next post.

Restart your computer and then check to see if your problem is resolved. Let me know if it's fixed or not.

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I have used trojan hunter in the past and uninstalled it. I reinstalled TH but I'm getting a message that says my eval period is up & I need to purchase it. Is there another program that I can use?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You may be able to use Trojan Remover 6.4.4. I don't know anything about it or how good it is, but I did do a bit of research to make sure it was legitimate. I'm very busy right now, and I won't have free time until the weekend. If you want to go ahead and try it out, that's fine. But if you wait till the weekend, I will test the program out myself and provide instructions for you.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 09 November 2005 - 11:50 AM.

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I installed Trojan Remover and before I scanned I went into the Utilities menu. Here I reset the following:

IE Home/Start/Search page
Windows HOSTS file
Windows Update Policies
Repair Layered Service provider registry entries
Reset Windows Explorer policies

I then went to the web to check the sites I'd been having problems with, and was able to access them! I'm not sure which utility actually fixed my problem, but my guess is the service provider registry entries. Thanks for your help!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Wonderful! Looks like I got to add that program to my list of useful tools. Glad we could help!