Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Would like to increase the resolution on a Gateway Destination 31"

• Please log in to reply

Scott J

Scott J

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just installed Windows XP on another computer I had lying around and when I connected my older Gateway Destination 31" monitor to it, all I can select is 480x600. Now I know for a fact that I was able to increase the max resolution value to 800x600 in Windows 98, but I cannot remeber where to set it.

I looked around in regedit but cannot find it. Can any of you help me to find it, please?

Thanks,
Scott

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you right click the desktop then properties then settings and it will not keep new settings

Perhaps the drivers need updating for XP

If you do not know what video adapter you have

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Download Everest Home Edition

Run it, click + next to computer then summary, look on right for display / video adapter

Visit the manufacturer's site to look for XP drivers

If you are unable to find anything, or are unsure if the files are correct, post the make and model here before you download anything

Scott J

Scott J

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your response Keith.

Yes, I did go to the Display Properties utility but the slider will not go to the right. It is locked at the 600x480 position even though it looks like it could move over. I even went into the monitor advanced settings and tried to force set it higher but those choices were not available.

I'm pretty sure that this is not a video card problem. Before I connected to the 31" I setup eveything on a standard 17" monitor with no limitations there.

I had similar problems before when I reformated my old Gateway Destination PC and had to overwrite the max resolution settings on it. The problem is that this monitor was only supposed to have a max resolution of 600x480 but I know that it can go to 800x600. I just can't find the place to change it...

I guess I could call Gateway Destination tech support and play dumb about what machine I'm currently working on...

Also, what is Everest? I know that I can do a search on this site or go to theirs for details but I though you might be able to do a quick summary of why I should use the application.

Once again, thank you for your help.