Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How easy is it to make a wap website?

• Please log in to reply

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Does anyone know how to convert a website to a wap website so you can view it on mobile phones?

Advertisements

rdhd1990

rdhd1990

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
V.easy IMO

if you type the website address into your phones wap browser it should load your site it will just take a long time to load and not every thing such as flash ect. will be visible and the layout will be really screwed up, i would suggest that you make a text version off your site and upload it to your domain (eg. www.yoursitename.co.uk/mobile or www.yourhost.com/yoursitename/mobile) then try viewing this text version via wap it should be a lot clearer and faster.

rDhD1990

Edited by rdhd1990, 28 October 2005 - 03:33 PM.

DeviousTrap

DeviousTrap

systems administrator

• Community Leader
  • 5,649 posts

V.easy IMO

if you type the website address into your phones wap browser it should load your site it will just take a long time to load and not every thing such as flash ect. will be visible and the layout will be really screwed up, i would suggest that you make a text version off your site and upload it to your domain (eg. www.yoursitename.co.uk/mobile or www.yourhost.com/yoursitename/mobile) then try viewing this text version via wap it should be a lot clearer and faster.

rDhD1990

Wow, I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. For starters WAP is not based on HTML but XML. It is actually coded in WML.

WAP stands for Wireless Application Protocol
WAP is an application communication protocol
WAP is used to access services and information
WAP is inherited from Internet standards
WAP is for handheld devices such as mobile phones
WAP is a protocol designed for micro browsers
WAP enables the creating of web applications for mobile devices.
WAP uses the mark-up language WML (not HTML)
WML is defined as an XML 1.0 application

Technically speaking XML and WML are very simple programming languages to learn, in comparision to advanced languages such as C or Java, but it's not just creating a text based version of your HTML site. Once you bulid a site in WML, you'll also need to make sure you host has Apache (the webserver) compiled wtih XML RPC. A good place to start would be this tutorial.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Thanks for the info!

I will look in to that! :tazz:

rdhd1990

rdhd1990

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Wow, I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. For starters WAP is not based on HTML but XML. It is actually coded in WML.
Technically speaking XML and WML are very simple programming languages to learn, in comparision to advanced languages such as C or Java, but it's not just creating a text based version of your HTML site. Once you bulid a site in WML, you'll also need to make sure you host has Apache (the webserver) compiled wtih XML RPC. A good place to start would be this tutorial.

lol my bad how come i can acces my html webpages thru my phones wap?

DeviousTrap

DeviousTrap

systems administrator

• Community Leader
  • 5,649 posts

lol my bad how come i can acces my html webpages thru my phones wap?

Your phone probably has a browser that reads both html and wap pages, not a strict wap browser.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
rdhd1990, what phone have you got?

rdhd1990

rdhd1990

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have an o2 x4

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
:tazz: I have a nokia 6600 and soon im upgrading to a nokia n91.

:)