Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing a floppy drive, PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

marknf316

marknf316

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi-
I am running windows 98, and i recently purchased a floppy drive. Everytime I try to install, it installs itself as a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive, while it is clearly 3 1/2. I have uninstalling, reinstalling, and nothing works. Please help!

( before i bought the floppy drive, there wasnt one there, i have no cd-rom drive either)

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Have you tried booting into BIOS and making sure the FDD (floppy) setting was set to show the floppy drive as a 3.5 rather than a 5.25??

Murray

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
yes, sorry, i did that myself before you responded, but im glad you did. I am now having a differant problem. I am trying to set up a network, and i created the network disk on my xp system, and when i open that disk on the win 98 system, it doesnt know what to open it with, and an error message comes up saying, "file Corrupt, try to reinstall" i tried that a few times, but i get the same result every time. One time an error came up saying i was missing the "kernel32.DLL" file, so i downloaded on my other system and then installed it. But the "corrupt file" message still comes up.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Please post this problem in the Networking forum and let one of the guru's there take a look!!

Murray