Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Extremely Sluggish

• Please log in to reply

Jeffjeff

Jeffjeff

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an HP Pavillion. FOr some reason, the computer is practically dead in the water, It takes forever for any application to load, and often it just gets hung up in the loading process. I have a Canon digital camera and it doesn't seem to recognize the camera anymore when I connect it. The hard drive is pretty full, but not sure if that would cause these problems. The only changes I made tot he system around the times these things stated to happen were downloading ZOne Alarm, adn AOL's Macafree Virus checker.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Jeffjeff...

Please doanload HiJackThis, install it, run it, and attach a log to this post so I can take a look at your running processes.

wannabe1

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

I have an HP Pavillion. FOr some reason, the computer is practically dead in the water, It takes forever for any application to load, and often it just gets hung up in the loading process. I have a Canon digital camera and it doesn't seem to recognize the camera anymore when I connect it. The hard drive is pretty full, but not sure if that would cause these problems. The only changes I made tot he system around the times these things stated to happen were downloading ZOne Alarm, adn AOL's Macafree Virus checker.

Any ideas?

Please follow Wannabe's instructions on the HJT. Once your system has been checked for spyware, you could do some general housecleaning for performance. Personally i feel MCAfee takes up a lot of resources and would suggest AVG (its free) as a better option.
If your HDD is full, its cud surely be a reason for the slowdown. It might be fragmented as well which is why applications taking a long time to respond. You could run disk cleanup ( clean out the temporary files, recycle bin files, temp internet files etc to free up space) and then run chdsk and defragment(for which u need atleast 15% free space). This will surely help improve thing. i guess ur start up list, the HJT expert will help you trim it. add more RAM if u can.
Link on cleanup
http://pcworld.about...p162id97442.htm
http://www.pctechgui...aint_Defrag.htm