Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem activity when nothing is open!

• Please log in to reply

bledwhite

bledwhite

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi, i am using windows xp with a 56k dialup connection.
a few hours ago i noticed that the blinking modem lights on my taskbar were flashing when i had nothing open that was using the net. i've discovered that it's been downloading at a constant rate now for a few hours, (roughly 5kb a second) and it's not stopping! i'm getting really annoyed, hijack this hasn't found anything unusual, neither has adaware. i downloaded spybot s&a and that's found nothing either.
currports is saying that i have two svchost.exe that have an established connection with bns2.net but i can't close them without my computer shutting down. looked up spyware that has anything to do with bns2.net and found Cydoor. checked the registry, windows folder and it looks like i haven't got cydoor at all.
ok, just this second my computer hard drive was making the sound it makes when something is installing, and my modem has stopped moving... what the [bleep]?!!?
what does this mean? can somebody please help, i don't want my connection being used to download programs without me knowing what they are. i would say all up, it's downloaded at least 10+ megabytes.
scary. and now i'm angry.

advice would be great.

Advertisements