Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell SmartStep 100D

• Please log in to reply

rayjdem

rayjdem

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Looking for some help before I call Dell. They don't support this system on their site in any way!
At startup a message comes up "Verifying VMI Pool Data...", a screen appears saying system did not start properly because of a hardware or software change, etc. At that point it offers different options (Safe, normal, last known good config). Whatever option is used, Windows tries to start, desktop backround appears (all black in Safe Mode), mouse shows up and can be moved, but it stops loading at that point. No icons. Alt-Ctrl-Esc does nothing. No other keys appear to work. Will not boot from floppy / CD. Where do I turn to next? Can't get into setup with F8.
Not sure of the total config of system - it's an elderly friends and I am trying to get it going for her. But it seems to be Dell's problem child. What to do?

SmartStep 100D
Windows XP-Home Edition

Advertisements

rayjdem

rayjdem

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay - I typed it wrong. It's "Verifying DMI Pool Data...". I've searched and there are tons of foorums with this problem stated, but none seem to get as far as the Windows XP backround, then stop. Any suggestions (other than typing lessons)