Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I wish to uninstall McAfee

• Please log in to reply

peacemaker

peacemaker

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello! :tazz: I have read and understand the FAQ's.

I would like to completely uninstall all McAfee components from my system. I prefer to use AVG's antivirus software. However, I am constantly getting messages that I need to upgrade my McAfee, and my free trial has expired. These messages are very annoying, and slow down my computer on boot up. I have also updated and run Spybot S&D and Adaware SE with clean results.

Since I am quite satisfied with AVG, and TrendMicro Housecall, I want to completely get rid of McAfee. Is this possible?

I am using windows XP.

Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You should be able to uninstall in add/remove programs, sometines the uninstall.exe is in the program folder or on the install disk as an option. You may need to remove some files and registry entries. There is a tutorial on the forum for removing some programs, in Applications.

peacemaker

peacemaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Tyger! Thank you for your quick reply. :)

I did go to the Applications section of the forum, and I found a topic explaining how to remove Norton and Symantec, but I did not see anything about McAfee. I'm the first to admit, I'm slow at this computer stuff, but I am willing to learn if someone can talk me thru the steps. I have posted a link to this thread in the Applications section of the forum. Since there are instructions there for removing Norton and Symantec, I thought this would be more appropriate there.

Thank you for your help! :tazz: Have a wonderful evening.

kevin66

kevin66

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello! :) I have read and understand the FAQ's.

I would like to completely uninstall all McAfee components from my system. I prefer to use AVG's antivirus software. However, I am constantly getting messages that I need to upgrade my McAfee, and my free trial has expired. These messages are very annoying, and slow down my computer on boot up. I have also updated and run Spybot S&D and Adaware SE with clean results.

Since I am quite satisfied with AVG, and TrendMicro Housecall, I want to completely get rid of McAfee. Is this possible?

I am using windows XP.
Thank you in advance!

I recently removed Norton but also with built in add and remove but it still left bits and pieces all over so i performed a reg clean using Tune up utilities 2006 it did the trick but do be careful and clean only what you know to be related to the software involved. cool? :tazz:

woohoofulness

woohoofulness

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
This always works but only try it if you can't get normal things to work. Ok try just manually deleting the folder, this probably wont work. Ok if it doesnt go to run put in "msconfig" go to the services tab and turn off everything that is in a mcafee folder. now delete the folder. if it still doesnt work take a hex editor to the folder, then kill it. Although this does leave registry entries, it works. And you can dl reg. cleaner

SO_Kenn

SO_Kenn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello friends...

OK ill tell you a quick and easy way to uninstall Mcafee with out messing with ur registry, since the registry can really cripple ur machine if you make a mistake..

• Open "Local Drive C", Open "Program Files", Open "Mcafee.com", Open "agent", Open "app" (Local Drive C:/Program Files/Mcafee.com/agent/app)
  • Next delete all files with the file extension .adf
  • Now you can go to the control panel and and use the add/remove programs the traditional way
  • Last reboot the computer

that should work like a charm..
Good Luck

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Like Norton and Symantec, McAfee also has a removal tool.

In a nutshell, remove thru add/remove, and then run the tool to get rid of all traces.

DO NOT MESS IN THE REGISTRY!

Read more at the following links. There is a link for the tool.

http://service.mcafe...x...083&lc=1033
http://www.pchell.co...allmcafee.shtml.