Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rpcnet.exe - anyone know what this is

• Please log in to reply

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Pip
  • 1 posts
according to my firewall logs (zonealarm) this program runs about every 15 minutes and issues a call to search.namequery.com. Does anyone know what this program is and what it is trying to do? I've searched the web and there isn't much out there on it.

Advertisements

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

Would this computer happen to be a laptop?

It seems to be associated with a Laptop Retriever.

Look here for more info.

Laptop Retriever Information
Maybe that can help you out a bit. I don't think it's bad. Might want to download HijackThis, and post a logfile though. Then we can look through your log and maybe can find out some futher information, if it's harmful or not.

Good luck! :tazz:

B

frankto

frankto

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a laptop with dual boot XP and Linux.
I also noticed this call to search.namequery.com every 10 or 15 minutes when I'm running Windows.
This started the day I installed a WRT54GS Linkys router behind my DSL box.
I think like Besttechie that is not dangerous but this confirms idea that some Windows components are always trying to communicate with the internet.
but now most of the times I'm running Linux so ...

Hope this helps.
Frank.

pcbene

pcbene

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hiya- rcp.net is the "call home program" associated with Computrace's "LoJack for Laptops". It connects every day or so to give the ip address and other info from the computer. search.namequery.com is actually owned by Absolute Software, the makers of "LoJack for Laptops".

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
http://www.file.net/...rpcnet.exe.html