Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new laptop wont boot

• Please log in to reply

steven bruton

steven bruton

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello

I just got a new dell inspiron 1150 notebook and it will not boot. When I turn it on it says "starting windows 95". Its supposed to be windows xp. Then it seems to be going through a 95 boot process. One of the things it says durig this is "primary partition is not fat and cannot be mounted under dos". Then after a few minutes I get a flashing red screen that says "check that the network cable is inserted correctly". I cannot do anything then and I have to turn off the notebook manually. I got the notebook last week and it would not even turn on so i sent it to be repaired and they apparently replaced the motherboard. I just got it back now only to experience this problem. Will I have to send it back to dell again.

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Steven

I would take the laptop back and ask for another one for a replacement, seeing how it is new, you should be covered by the warrenty from Dell, normally 1 year. After spending my money on a laptop that did not boot, I would take it straight back to the location that I purchased it from and ask for another one, never mind changing parts until it works. :tazz:

steven bruton

steven bruton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hey man,

Cheers for the reply. I bought the thing online so bringing it back to the location aint an option. I rang dell support earlier today and they kept putting me on hold. They eventually said they'd call me back but they left me for hours without calling back. I rang again a couple of times but it takes about half an hour just to get through to an actual person instead of answering machine. They kept saying it was really busy and that I was a priority call and they would call me back as soon as possible. Well that was hours ago and its nearly 9 pm here so I am going to have to call again tomoro. This is really annoying. The service slip I got after they repaired it the first time baffles me as well because it says it passed a quality inspection. How did it pass a quility inspection if it wont even boot!

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Did you purchase from Dell online or another company, with Dell you should have the 24/7/365 helpline, and as they advertise "You can call them any time of the day or night." :tazz:

Second thing I would try instead of staying on the phone, is there going to a support website for answers, I have had better luck trying to get info than sitting with a phone pressed to my ear. If it is purchased from Dell, check out this link.

https://support.dell...ue&s=dhs&~ck=mn

steven bruton

steven bruton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hey man,

I am over in ireland and the support isn't 24/7 its like 8-5 I think. So I'll just wait till tomoro and tell them to pick it up. Do you think I should demand a new one instead of them trying to fix it again.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I personally would demand a new laptop, if one component has been changed already and it still will not boot, I would definitly ask for another one. If they start to complain to you about cost or warrenty, smile and ask for a full refund. :tazz:

steven bruton

steven bruton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
cheers for the advice dude.

I think I'll demand a new one. It seems to me that whoever put this notebook together is prone to errors and in my opinion shouldnt be working for dell so god knows what other errors he made with it.