Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop System Memory Change on startup

• Please log in to reply

LadyButler

LadyButler

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm really hoping someone can give me a clue as to where to start with this!

My husband's laptop (running XP Professional) has recently started giving an error on startup. The error comes in a short form or a long form.

Short version:

The amount of system memory has changed.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.

Long version:

Memory write/read failure at 08000000, read 00EF00EE expecting 00EF00EF. Decreasing available memory.
The amount of system memory has changed.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.

If I hit F1, the computer usually will continue to boot normally- albeit slower than before.

If I choose F2, the only thing I seem to be able to change is the time and date... and then upon exiting the setup utility, I get a message complaining that pci.sys is corrupt.

:tazz: Please!!!

Thanks!

Ad

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
It sounds like you have an intermittantly bad 2nd memory module. The error report indicates a flaw at the 128MB point, which would make sense if you have 256MB consisting of 2x128MB modules.

Could you check how much memory Windows reports (right click "My Computer", select properties). If the last error was the short version it should be 256MB, long version 128MB.

It would probably be worthwhile lifting off the cover and checking that the memory modules are still securely fitted.

Download and burn a CD (on another computer) of MemTest86 and boot up the laptop with it in the CDROM (set to boot from CD in BIOS). This will definately tell you if your memory is bad, but be sure that it is showing the correct amount of memory (i.e. last error = short version)

Edited by Kurt_Aust, 30 October 2005 - 02:33 AM.

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
HIya,
Sound like you have some bad ram in the laptop. To fix this problem replace the ram.

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
What kind of laptop is it "model"