Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WAreout and DNSBust-A Adware/Malware Trojans

• Please log in to reply

Hitman94

Hitman94

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,

WindowsXP Home Edition (Service Pack 2)

I am working on a friends computer so I cannot list anything from HIJACK.

The computr boots fine but freezes when you try get to desktop. I boot in safe mode and desktop appears fine.

While in safe mode I found the dollowing spywares: Wareout and DNSBust-A were present

Wareout - Removed from add/remove program options

Here are soem additional wareout files searched for and removed: Wareout (Program files); hclean32.exe, wareout.exe, wotmp.tmp, wotmp11.tmp, wosys.dll and wosys11.dll

DNSPING.exe - stopped from starup - turned off when I went to msconfig>>startup>>uncheck this proram to disable from startup

DNSCACHEBOOT - removed from Program files

DEST068.exe - stopped from startup - turned off when I went to msconfig>>starup>>uncheck this program to disable from startup

HERE IS MY PROBLEM: We still cannot ge to desktop unless in SAFE MODE. This means CD is unaccesible and all spyware tools are too big for a floppy. I have SPYBOT ready but cannot load in SAFE MODE as I have no access to CD drive. Any suggestions how to clean this out so at least we can get to the desktop then we can install Spybot from the CD, download it and latest definitin updates, run it and hopefully that will remove most of what is present.

I do not want to re-install windows but really struggling what I can do in SAFE MODE to fix the booting to desktop issue they have. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements