Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I cannot get Word to open in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

chsop

chsop

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Recently purchased new Compaq PC with Windows XP. Installed Office 2000 and everything works fine except Word. Word starts to open but freezes in the process at which time I have to close the application. Upon clicking the X to close I get a message that says the program is not responding and gives me the option to "End Task" or "Cancel". When I send the errror message the MS site tells me I need a service update but when I installed the update I still have the same problem. :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have Norton anti virus, open it, click options then remove the tick for Office plug in, click apply

If you don't have that, open any other Office programme, click help then detect and repair

chsop

chsop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Keith, Thanks for the advice. Tried both with no success. I even removed all of my Norton Antivirus programs and still nothing. Previously removed Office and reinstalled it as well. Will reinstall Norton and try again. Any other thoughts?
Chsop

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Usually, Word halts when Norton requests a virus scan before open the document and is evidenced by Word flashing orange on the taskbar, and nothing happening when you click it

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;329382

1. Quit all programs.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. Depending on how Norton AntiVirus 2000 is installed, type one of the following commands:
• If the Norton AntiVirus program is installed as a stand-alone product, type the following command, and then press ENTER

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"

where c is the drive where Norton AntiVirus is installed.

If the command is successful, you receive the following message:

DllUnregisterServer in C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\OfficeAV.dll succeeded.

• If the Norton AntiVirus program is installed as part of SystemWorks, type the following command, and then press ENTER

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"

where C is the drive where SystemWorks is installed.

If the command is successful, you receive the following message:

DllUnregisterServer in C:\Program Files\Norton Systemworks\Norton AntiVirus\OfficeAV.dll succeeded.

4. Click OK.

5. Restart the computer.

You may need to try it with and without the quotes because I cannot remember how I used to type it :tazz:

chsop

chsop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried it both ways. With the quotation marks as you put it I got the following message back:
DllUnregisterServer in C:\Program Files\Norton Systemworks\Norton AntiVirus\OfficeAV.dll failed. Return code was: 0x8002801c

Without the quotation marks I get the following:
Loadlibrary("C:\program") failed - The specified module could not be found.

Any other ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You may receive failure messages with either the return code value of 0x80070005 or the return code value of 0x8002801c.

.net framework is a programme this applies to, which you will likely have with Office

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;832926

chsop

chsop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't have Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2002 or Visual Studio .NET 2003 which are needed to resolve the problem according to the MS Support page.

Thanks for the help.