Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Linux

• Please log in to reply

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Before you go moving this based on its title, please read the thread in whole.

When I try to install Linux (tried Ubuntu and SuSE), I get 'Error 18' for both installations. SuSE tells me that the number of cylinders supported by the BIOS has been exceeded.

I noticed on my hdd that it mentions something of the number of cylinders, so I'm assuming this is the correct forum (I suppose it could go in either place).

Also, how do I remove all the partitions, wipe completely, format completely, from a hdd?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
With the most recent version of Linux you don't have to partition and format first, you can do that with the cd-rom.

What kind of hard drive do you have, and how many cylinders does it have? You may need to change your BIOS settings to support that drive.

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Along with what Tyger said, what's your motherboard and BIOS? With the info on the hard drive/motherboard/BIOS it's easier to see what needs to be changed to get it to work.