Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Windows restarting

• Please log in to reply

JL4788

JL4788

• Pip
  • 5 posts
The BSOD tells me I have a problem with newly installed hardware or software, but I haven't installed anything lately, also can't boot in Safe Mode because it just restarts again, I have no idea what to do and can't say I'm exactly "computer smart" :)
:tazz:

This just randomly started happening to me one day after a restart

Edited by JL4788, 30 October 2005 - 04:51 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, change the boot priority to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 to save the change, type Y to confirm, insert the XP CD, press enter, it will reboot so you will go from 2. when it gets there

1. Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive.

2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.

4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.

6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

If this procedure does not work, repeat it and use the fixboot command in step 5 instead of the chkdsk /r command.

JL4788

JL4788

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Now to start the search for the startup disks -_-

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The (an, same version) XP CD will do for this

JL4788

JL4788

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
At 34% I got "There is one or more unrecoverable problems in the volume" Maybe not that exact wording, but ya, something like that
What now? =/

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try it a couple more times, if it gives you the same response, especially at an identical point, you will probably be better finding a computer savvy enough friend with a PC you can install your drive to, as a slave to his, transfer the data you need to save to his drive, then on to CDR

While the drive is in his PC, use the hard drive manufacturer's set up utility if it includes a write to zero option

Once you have cleared the drive, install it to your PC, set the connections as the master drive

Run the manufacturer's utility to write zeros to the drive, use the full option which will take hours, after this has run, install XP, load your data from the CDR disc(s)

You can look at XP repair though the defects in the drive will probably stop this running

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates