Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Dropping out all the time

• Please log in to reply

fischmann

fischmann

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
My internet has been dropping out alot latley anyone know anything that might be causing this?? :) :) :woot: :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Are you using broadband (cable modem or DSL) or dial up? Have you checked with your ISP?

fischmann

fischmann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
dsl through the phone line

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Have you contacted your ISP? What have you done to troubleshoot this with the ISP?

fischmann

fischmann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
no i should do that but its just a really big hassle takes about 30mins to get in then you get some asian that just does trobleshooters thats why i was asking here

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well, since we don't have your system in front of us, we have to rely on you to do some basic trouble shooting. (write or print this out)
1. turn off your system (computer, router(if you use one) and modem)
2. Turn them back on one at a time in this order and wait for each one to fully boot up. Modem, router then the computer.

Log on to a web site, and pay attention to the traffic light (download and upload) on your modem and router.
If you get a drop off that cause windows to notify of a broken connection, backtrack the signal from the computer to the wall phone jack for connections:
Network card in your computer (to include a WIFI card). Cable to router (unless using a WIFI card, then see if you are getting good signal strength and link strength) Then router to modem, then finally modem to wall jack.
If any of these connections are loose or worn, your connection may be intermittent.

But here is something I have noticed: If you are connected to a router, and the router looses the signal or connection, you will get a popup on your system tray indicating a dropped connection. But if your modem loses the signal, your computer will not show a dropped connection because the network card is looking at the router for a signal which is still there even though your modem drops out.

Go forth a find out what your problem is with the advice given and good luck.