Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Troubleshooting MS Movie Maker 2

• Please log in to reply

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I have used MSWMM2 for some time now, but find it crashing and 'not repsonding' more and more. I have read alot from PapaJohn's site, tried all he suggests, but still have problems with the program "encountering a problem and having to shut down". The "sorry for the inconvenience" message doesn't help... Is there some other place I can go for troubleshooting help with the program? thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is there a particular file type you need to work with

Is there a particular editing function you need to use

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
sounds like dodgy software using an incompatible file type.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
I don't think of MSWMM2 as dodgy software, but it would helpful to know what file types you are trying to import as mentioned previously. Also, at what point are you encountering these errors? Importing files, doing editing, making credits/titles, exporting? The more info the better.

Cheers,
Tom

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks to all for the various responses...
Further information:

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 5160 with an Intel Pentium 4 - 2.8Ghz processor; 1.25Gb RAM, 40Gb Hardrive, with a 160 Gb USB2 external hardrive where I've been storing all the files.

The stuff I've captured and stored on the 160Gb hard drive has used only about 80-90 Gb, and I have no other programs running while using Movie Maker. I even disable my DSL, though Norton Antivirus and Internet Security "won't let me" disable them without persistent pop up security warning windows. (Anyone know how to disable those pop-ups when NAV or Internet Security are disabled?)

I keep both my external and C drives defragmented.

I'm using the Pixelan Spice Packs extra effects package, but not a great number of the effects themselves in this project.

I have encountered the "program not responding" and "has to shut down" problems at different points throughout the process, all the way from right when I start up the Movie Maker program and it opens the project, to during the 'creating and saving' the movie stage, sending it to my DV camera. Several times the "create and save movie" process has been over 50% completed when Movie Maker just stops functioning and shuts down all on its own.

It's also happened while I've been building and editing the project.

I have been using only JPEG and .avi files, and .wma audio files.

I turned down and off the hardware acceleration as noted in PapaJohn's stuff, disabled all the other media codecs/filters on the "tools/options/compatability" box in Movie Maker, found and renamed all the "problem .ax" files noted in PapaJohn's info.

And still...

Also... what are the .scn files that accompany captured video?

Thanks again.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
There's a difficulty with using either WMM or WMEnc, which is that they write files into RAM instead of to disk, so if you don't have enough RAM they will freeze up. Only after the full file is written to RAM is it saved to disk.

Socka

Socka

• Pip
  • 1 posts

There's a difficulty with using either WMM or WMEnc, which is that they write files into RAM instead of to disk, so if you don't have enough RAM they will freeze up. Only after the full file is written to RAM is it saved to disk.

Hi All,
I have the same issue, but mainly while capturing from a digital video camera (JVC GR-DVX507)How can then this be solved?
Tx,

winvideo-amateur

winvideo-amateur

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having a similar problem where WMM has lost me a 2hr+ recording - after I turned off the recroding and then processed the (half-meg), which took over an hour to complete, WMM exited suddenly near the end of the process and now all I have is a sn ippet of the recorded file and wish I could somehow recover the rest.