Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs not responding

• Please log in to reply

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
When I recently began capturing and saving large amounts (80-90Gb) of video files, some of my folders, video and photo files began freezing, not opening when I tried to click on them. I would have to end the application, sometimes only a folder. I can open the same photo or video files through Windows Media Player or the Photoshop Elements 2 browser, but not directly from Windows. Any help? Thanks

Edited by creatureofdarkness, 30 October 2005 - 11:26 PM.

Advertisements

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
HIya, you might try and seperate the files so the hdd dosnt have to acsess all that ifo to show you it in one or two folders. I run fianl cut pro on sevral emac and i speed all of the info to 10 difrent hdds. so i have faters acess

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Just a couple of obvious things? Are you running too many programs that ur Memory isnt able to support? How much RAM? Also check ur HDD is it running full? The drive cud be badly fragged as ur dealing with very large files, it would be a good idea to store whtever u can on CDs if ur running low on space. Back up first if u think the HD cud be hving trouble.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as far as the picture files....are you using the preview stuff in xp (i'm verry sorry but i don't remember what it's actually called) where when you open up a folder with images, it shows the images as thumbnails in the folder?

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
The hang has occurred when navigating starting from both the "my pictures" and "my documents" folders, and has happened both with the flolders themselves, as well as individual files within the folders, with thumbnails as well as with the filmstrip and thumbnail views.
For some reason I wonder/question/suspect whether it is a problem with the Windows Explorer, though the "program not responding" notice indicates the actual name of the folder or file where the hang happens, for example "My Pictures not responding".

My hardrive (a 160Gb USB2 external) is only about 1/2 full, and I keep it defragmented.

I also regularly run "Disk Clean Up", "Registry First Aid", "SpyBot S & D", "AdAware" and "Norton AV", and all those show no infections or malware. (Geeks To Go taught me 'bout all that stuff last July... the hard way!)

The C crive hard drive is 40Gb, and about 40% free; I have an Intel 4 - 2.8Ghz processor with 1.25 Gb RAM.

I'm not running any other programs when this problem happens.

When the first hang happened I moved the offending folder from the external drive to my desktop, but it still happened there.

Thanks