Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Battlefield 2 lags.....on decent system?

• Please log in to reply

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Ok hi everyone, long time, no post....

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on why battlefield 2 is so choppy whenever i get to an area with heavy action with 2 + players in one area.....

Heres my specs....

Processor: Pentium 4 (prescott) 3.0Ghz with Hyper Threading (disabled because BF2 doesnt support it)
RAM: 1.5 GB Kingston PC3200 (in dual channel mode)
Video Card: ATI ALL IN WONDER X800 XT (AGP)
Motherboard: Intel D865PERL 800mhz fsb
HD: Western Digital 80GB SATA 150 7200 RPM

Its actually annoying the H**l outta me cause i bought a brand spankin new pc so i could run BF2 and its soooo slow.

Some one please shed some light

Thanks,
Matt

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
How much lag is it, is it a brief stutter and then fine or is it constant, also have you got the latest 5.10 drivers. Also make sure all your other applications are closed down.

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
it lags like crazy when ever i pretty much engage anyone in combat...or when many other units are near...its not just a second of lag it almost becomes like 3 frames a second until i die basically...

I installed the 5.1 catalyst driver....and its like my vid card died and had no driver.... it froze up trying to drag a windows explorer window.....so i reinstalled the driver off the cd....but yeah have any other suggestions anyone???

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
seriously guys this is frustrating me i thought that x800XT would run BF@ fine...WHATS THE DEAL????

I had to turn many of the settings to medium, and run the res on 1024X768......i honestly dont understand is my other hardware bad. I was considering getting 2 512mb of ram to make my new RAM a total of 2gb....but would that make a significant difference...i constantly hear ppl saying they run bf2 with high settings...and they have worse vid cards than me...are they lieing or does my computer just suck....im thinking about getting a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice...and ASUS MOBO...and possibly a 7800 GTX...would that be a significant improvement...or should my system be able to run it...ive tried reinstalling windows...etc etc...HELP!!>>!!!!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
go into your bios and disable hyper threading and see if that helps.

gomes512

gomes512

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yep exactly the same problem here. Seems to be caused by certain parts of some maps. Maybe its the dynamic shadows being set on high? No old/new nvidia drivers seem to help, so its not the vid card. Are you running zonalarm by anychance? Heard it might cause some major lag issues. I'll try to uninstall zonalarm and mess around with the in-game dynamic settings.

I'll post back if I find anything.