Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just builted it

• Please log in to reply

sweft

sweft

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Okay, I just builted my first computer and came to some problems.

I have an LanpartyMotherboard and my Grafics Card on a 450 w power supply and running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with an AMD 3200 porcessor. The problem is when I play a game or install a new program, or just randomally it will restart. The grafics card runs off 350 watz it's self and Im wondering if it's a problem with power or what's going on. I am going to run a program to see if it has anything to do with the memory but I have no idea. I have 1g of RAM and a 400gb hard drive..
I have no idea what I am doing.. how much power do you really need..

Any Help?

btw i didn't pay $800 bucks for the grafics card.. geeze, only $500, stupid tigerdirect.

Edited by sweft, 31 October 2005 - 08:21 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Could you please list the make and model of the psu and what kind/speed of ram you have.

Rick

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I have 1gb hmm, it's like a kingston and the psu.. hmm the one that came with the case.. :) IDK.. hmm I forget.. :tazz: it's a 450 w though.. I bought it at FRY's.

Sweft

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok that ain't a lot of info to go with but on the side of the psu there will be a decal can you tell me the amps of the 3.3V, 5V and +12V.

Do you know if the ram is pc3200 or pc2700 ?

right click my computer then in the system properties dialog box click on settings under startup and recovery, Then look under system failure, if there is a check in the automatic restart uncheck it.

What this may do is the next time instead of a restart you will get a BSOD with a error message if this occurs post the error message for us, if the BSOD and error message do not occur and the computer still reboots let us know.

Could you also list your temps and voltages with the computer at idle?

Rick

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Sorry for the delay! So the PSU is a:
RAIDMAX 12V Power
DC Outlet Current
+3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5Vsb
Total Output Wattage
10A/5A 34A 14A 0.5A 0.8A 2.0A 450Wattage

I don't know what I am doing wrong. Will Remote Assistance be any help? :tazz: I will so let you look for yourself!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
First thing is that psu is not sufficent for that system, the watts are but 14amp on the 12v rail is not. Amd64 systems need at least 24A on the 12v. Amd recommends 18A but this does not take into consideration high end/powerd video cards and most users with amd64 and high powerd video cards report the need for at least 24A

I cannot guarentee that this will solve the problem totally (maybe it will if all else is right) but you must start with a adequate psu so get a name brand at least 450 watt and check the amps on the 3.3v 5v and 12v rails.

Rick

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
That is so true because I only have 20A and there are four more. MAN! :tazz: So I need to buy a new PSU?

Joe

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I would because raidmax does not make a quality psu and it is underpowerd but there other things to also consider so review post 4 and do the other things I suggest if the computer will run long enough this could provide more info to us.

If you don't know how to get the temps and voltages from bios I could download your manual and guid you

Rick

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Yeah, not a clue on hoto do that.. not a clue.. If you wanna help me save money on not burning out my first system, HELP! :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Sorry so late getting back to you,

Go into bios by pressing the delete key when the mobo's logo appears at bootup, then click on "PC Health Satus" and post ATX 3.3V, ATX 5V and ATX 12V.

Also post the the "cpu core temperature"

exit bios without saving changes.

I still recommend changing the psu you have, I know for a fact that its very cheap and not adequate for you system.

Rick