Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Vs Pro

• Please log in to reply

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Hi i am ordering a new compputer and i don't know if i should i get windows xp home or prefessional edition.
Any suggestions on what to get??
:tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would suggest going with pro...you'll have a lot less issues in the long run, especially if you're planning on networking the machine. home is ok....they just left out alot of pro's configurability

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

i would suggest going with pro...you'll have a lot less issues in the long run, especially if you're planning on networking the machine. home is ok....they just left out alot of pro's configurability

XP Home is perfectly capable of networking in a fashion that most home users need. In fact 99% of people who have XP Pro don't use the extra features it offers over XP Home.

Plus in most places Home is half the cost of Pro anyway and IMO for most people the extra pro options aren't worth the extra dosh.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Check out this topic that I created describing the Differences Between Home and Pro.

Fenor

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
If i get HOME will i be able to upgrade to a dual core processor like one of the Athlon X2 series

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

If i get HOME will i be able to upgrade to a dual core processor like one of the Athlon X2 series

There's nothing in XP Home that will stop it working on dual core processors.

XP Pro supports dual processors (ie more than one processor) which are not the same thing as dual core processors.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
THNX

I will probably go with Home then. All those extra features of pro i won't even touch(well most of it).