Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Windows Disc

• Please log in to reply

OhioStateBoy710

OhioStateBoy710

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello I have a Dell Dimension Desktop 2350.

It came with a windows disc that I can (and have done before) re-install windows on my dell computer giving me a "fresh start" that I like every so often because it gives my computer a boost. My computer is strictly just for browsing/nothing important so it has no files that are of value. In the past, I have gone to do this procedure and my install disc was scratched preventing select windows files from being coppied. I then ordered a new disc from dell and everything worked great. I just wanted to checkout if there is any program i could use to see if this disc has any scratch issues before delteting and being left computerless. OR, option B, is there a way I can create a new partion that will allow me to install a windows and then delete my old windows?

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The best way to work out if there might be problems caused by scratches is to look on the shiny side of the disk for any scratches. I would not advise you install Windows on one partition and then delete the old one becuase several very important files needed to boot to windows are not created on the second partition. So deleting the first partition would give you a computer that dose not work.

Hope this helps.

OhioStateBoy710

OhioStateBoy710

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for telling me that about partions (I knew nothing about them pre thread). I think i'll just suck it up and consider Windows Media Center because I now have a Hauppauge 150 PVR MCE Tv Tuner Card. I have never seen Media Center before. Do you recommend it?

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
MCE is like XP Pro, but with more MM spt............. that's all

note: There is really no (good) reason to do a clean install every so often, especially if your machine is used only for, as you say, browsing...........jmo

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I can't make comments, because I realy don't know about Media Center.

note: There is really no (good) reason to do a clean install every so often, especially if your machine is used only for, as you say, browsing...........jmo

I half agree with that. A format regally because
  • Cleans out the registery
  • It deletes temp files
  • Fixes every thing form tests that went wrong
  • removes traces for all the programs that I have tested
  • can test differant ways of setting it up
  • I can feal sure I am clean
  • I like doing it
But for most people there are easyer and quicker ways to do it. Formating is also not a big dealy for me. 30 minutes to format and install, 30 minutes to get my settings right (gets quicker each time be cause I write reg files to do it next time) 2 hours to install programs.

OhioStateBoy710

OhioStateBoy710

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
See that's is exactly my situation. Formatting witht he dell disc is as easy as 1-2-3 (not even a software code required)...And my main reason is while I do not "professionally" test them and recommend them to users as you do, I do download many different programs to see which one is best (as in when I got my TV tuner card I downloaded 7 different programs)....Plus ontop of all that it just gets everything back to normal clean. And as I am not as computer saavy as you are, I don't have near as many programs as you probably would, probably 20 minutes (Since I have regular computing purposes)

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Can't say I do it "professionally." And I don't know about haveing more programs installed than you would. Right now I only have 20 installed, including 2 Anti Virus, witch I know is rather dumb.

Edited by Michael, 02 November 2005 - 07:46 PM.