Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two NAT routers in series...

• Please log in to reply

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
So I had an idea brought upon myself today. I have two routers, one is a DI-604 and the other is some wireless router from AT&T. What I would like to do with the two is exactly this-

Posted Image

I know my way around a router's settings quite well so I should be easy to give directions to, and I'm finally posting for help here because I am, after trying to make this work for a week now, at my wit's end with it. I have a few wireless devices I would like to put on the network by their native wireless instead of having to hook them up to the DI-604 with ethernet.

Edited by MikeFromNY, 01 November 2005 - 09:15 PM.

Advertisements

ricci

ricci

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hey Mike,

I have a very similiar setup that I'm running. The most important thing I found was to make sure that the routers were configured for different subnets. In other words, if your DI-604 has an internal address of 192.168.0.1, then your AT&T has to have a different internal address, like 192.168.1.1. If they have the same address, your AT&T will get confused between the two subnets.

Other than that, you should be able to set them both to use DHCP to get their external ip's, gateways, and DNS servers automatically, along with the computers hooked to them. Worked for me, at least...

-ricci

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
With your wire going from router to w-router, you will likely have to use a crossover cable and DON'T plug it into the WAN port of the w-router - use one of the 4 ports; the WAN input is for plugging into a cable modem or other WAN device. Your other wired router receives the WAN information from the modem at the WAN input, so you can set you wireless clients to use the wired router as the default gateway.

Make sure you set each router IP add to something different, so when you have to reset your router, the default addressing won't conflict with the other router (Like 192.168.0.10-20) DHCP will work for both routers, and you CAN have the routers on the same subnet, in fact if this is for a home network, you NEED to have them on the same subnet.

unless you need multiple subnets in your home network..........

Ok, I see you plan to share between clients on the w-router, but not on the wired router, so just create a different workgroup name for the clients on each router.

Edited by kd1966, 02 November 2005 - 12:13 PM.

ricci

ricci

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
If you want your setup to be the way you have in the diagram, DO NOT use a crossover cable, and DO use different subnets.

If you want to change your setup and move the cable that you have shown in your diagram currently on the WAN port on your AT&T router to one of the LAN ports on your AT&T router, then you'll need to follow kd's advise and use a crossover cable and same subnets. At this point, though, you're using one of your routers as a hub instead of a router, a big waste in my opinion. If you only want 1 subnet, use one router and a hub.

I'm assuming you have 2 routers for a reason. Therefore, you'll want to forget the crossover cable and same subnets. Make sure you're using a regular ethernet cable between the two routers, and different subnets, as I posted originally.

-ricci

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Well between the two ways you guys reccomended, which would allow me to have internet acess on all of the PC's?

ricci

ricci

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Both would.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what you would need to do...to get what i think you want done...is...like the other guys said...have one subnet on one router, and another subnet on the other router...you will need to use a crossover cable because when you connect routers to routers you have to use a crossover. to get internet connectivity all you would have to do..is set a static route between the two routers and nat the first router. ( i had a similar problem in school...only it was 14 cisco routers 2 switches and one internet connection)

ricci

ricci

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I have done this 4 times in my own home. If you connect the WAN port on your AT&T router to a LAN port on your DI-604 router, you DO NOT have to use a crossover cable. Use regular cable.

This is the difference between a WAN port and a LAN port. If you connected two LAN ports together, you would need a crossover, but since you're connecting a WAN port to a LAN port, you do not need a crossover.

-ricci

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I got it working today as per a mix of all your advice and it worked quite well. I did in fact need a crossover to get it working, though, but that's not a problem, $10 at radio shack.

Thanks. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hey mike, just because this stuff interests me...could you post the final design structure?

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
This is how I set it up...

Posted Image

Basically, does exactly what I want it to. Gives me a wireless acess point that originates about 120 feet away from the cable modem, so I can have wireless where I need it instead of having to go closer to the cable modem where the wireless router originally was.

Edited by MikeFromNY, 18 November 2005 - 05:05 PM.

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
MikeFromNY,

Just curious... Did you try using a regular cat5 cable from a lan port on your wired router to the WAN port of your wireless?

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I had tried before and it didn't work, but when I tried it, I don't think I ever changed the gateway on the second router to a different one from the first router. If I get the chance, I'll see if it works.