Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

major headache after i uninstalled Norton...........

• Please log in to reply

matthehat

matthehat

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all gurus.
My friend gave me his laptop to 'clean-up' so he could sell it.
He asked me to remove all programes software and all of his personal stuff.
everything was going well untill i uninstalled Norton Internet security
Now when i switch the comp. on i get a message pop up saying 'unable to add icon to system tray Intel® Anypoint®' Connection Manager and nothing apart from the CLOCK appears in the bottom right.
Everything is real slow on machine now.
Have just tried a system restore which froze the machine
pc spec.......Xp sp2 Pent.4 Mobile CPU 1.60GHz 1.2GHz 256 RAM
Any suggestions?

Advertisements

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
First off, hey and welcome to the forum. If you're 'Cleaning up' his PC to make it sellable, I would go a step further than just deleting the files and uninstalling programs. It's not too hard to recover deleted data nowadays, so I would reccomend reformatting the entire thing and reinstalling windows. If you do this, don't just do a quick reformat, but do the full format. (Yes it will take a considerable amount of time the larger the drive, but it is well worth it.) This will for the most part, keep the person who ends up with the laptop from being able to retreive his data from it and if he's ever had documents on there with personal info like credit card numbers, SS numbers, and other things of the like, it will keep him safe by making those harder (impossible?) to retrieve.

Edited by MikeFromNY, 01 November 2005 - 09:35 PM.

matthehat

matthehat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thankyou for the responce.
I did suggest this to him.

The only thing is, that when he bought the LapTop 'IBM Thinkpad', it had windows already installed on it. No copy on cd was given to him when he purchased it.

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Err... That could be a problem then. The original ower of the thinkpad should have transfered the CD to him, the new owner, when selling the laptop since I would believe that the laptop came with the Windows XP disk.

In this case, you'd probably want to destory as much of your old data as you can with software utilities... As far as what to use, I'm not familiar with any software that does that, but maybe someone here does...

matthehat

matthehat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
He told me he bought the Laptop Brand new from dixons.
It had windows preinstalled on it, and was never given a windows disc with it.
But getting back to my original question, which was about the 'unable to icon to system tray' issue when booting, any idea how to rectify that? or why it is saying that?
Wipeing the info off the pc is not that big an issue, he was paranoid about using his cc online so he never did! he just wanted all his pictures and emails games and non sensative information wiped.
He said when first switched it on he had to enter his personal details to register the XP package

Edited by matthehat, 02 November 2005 - 06:33 PM.

matthehat

matthehat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
With regards to reinstalling windows.
Do you know if Microsoft would be able to supply an xp disc if we were able to give them the product ID info. of installed application?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Removing Norton products can be a real problem, that's one of the reasons I would never buy any (besides having many reservations regaeding their quality). They tend to leave hard to remove, if not impossible, parts in your system. Sometimes it's only cosmetics, sometimes troubles, and always brings up the question of "who you are to leave your footprints in my machine".

Having said that, I think that your best bet would be to approach Symantec technical support anf forum. I hope they at least know what to do.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may be able to get a disk from microsoft if you call them and explain the issue...it's worth a shot...and i would agree with y.a. on the part about contacting symantec....their product removal is a known issue and they do have ways to remove it...of course...this may involve reinstalling it to get a clean uninstall

matthehat

matthehat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, just to update you, I contacted IBM and there is an option on booting laptop. Pressing F11 allows you to format and automatically reinstall windows :tazz:
Sorted, thanks for the replies.
I now use panda av which seems to be ok

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
That's a cool feature... Something I didn't know about before... Very useful. Good to hear you got it all sorted out. :tazz: