Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Positioning of fans

• Please log in to reply

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I have 1 slot for an 80mm fan at the front bottom of my case, 1 slot for a 120mm and 1 slot for a 80mm fan on my case lid, and a 120mm on the back.

So far this is my setup: the front bott (80mm) is facing in, the 80mm on the case lid is facing out(controversy over this about whether i should face this in blowing on to my 7800GTX card);120mm facing in (blowing on my processor heat sink), and the 120mm on the back is facing out.

Suggestions plz or is my setup okay.

These are all vantec stealth fans by the way.

com specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ w/ 2x512K Cache
2x512MB kingston(ALSO NEED SUGGESTIONS on whether to get 1gbram or 2 more 512; and brand type,unless i dunno if i have to get kingston ram since i already have it or can i get a diff brand to make it compatible)
7800GTX
Asus A8N-E w/ DualDDR400, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, SATA2.0, PCI-E x16

tq :tazz:

Edited by t3chnon3, 01 November 2005 - 09:43 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I think your fan setup is fine, I would not turn the 80mm to blow in because normally you want a balanced air flow in other words you want as many and same size fans blowing in as blowing out.

If you turn that fan to blow in you would have a positive airflow (more fans blowing in) witch is not always a good thing because even though you are making cool air enter the case you are not exhausting hot air out.

In general you bring cool air into the case low and from the front or side and you exhaust hot air out thru the top or rear. Some cut what is called a blow hole in the top of thier case and place a fan blowing out because hot air rises but your setup should be fine.

I would stick with the Kingston since that is what you all ready have and it should not make a differance weather its 512 or a gig with the only consideration being if you would want to add more later you would still have a dimm slot left with a 1gig stick but this would also be dependent on if the mobo will support more than another gig.

Rick