Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Arghh! Deleted files...now PC is fecked!

• Please log in to reply

natalie1722

natalie1722

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was cleaning my harddrive.....deleted some folders from program files..nothing major...just files left over from stuff I'd uninstalled...or so I thought...

Now, since I've deleted what ever I've deleted...loads of things won't work!!

When I'm browsing the internet...some sites don't work at all...hotmail for instance...I can't log in to other sites..I enter my username and password and click "login" but nothing happens...

Pop ups on sites won't work...i.e. if I click extensions such as search - the little search box won't appear...navigation bars on other sites don't show at all..

The windows search doesn't work... (start > search) the little dog runs to the front of the screen...but the search options are missing completely...

And best of all Ststem Restore won't work!! Click on SR - nowt happens...doesn't load...click on it twice and the box shows up but it's completely white and the icon in the top left corner is a "not responding" icon...yet in running processes it doesn't say that its not responding....

Anyone any ideas what I've done?? Pleaseee!!!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

You can check for any improvement now, and then after each step until you have run through them all, if necessary

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

XP Repair

If you are unable to run XP Repair

Alternate XP Repair

Use the last one, Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method