Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Sharing

• Please log in to reply

Shy-Ty

Shy-Ty

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi.. I'm new to this... This is my problem. I have a laptop and I want to Print from my desktop computer. I've gone through the Network Setup on both laptop and Desktop. Workgroup names are the same. When I go to the "add a printer" and I get to the " Browse for a printer" it just shows "Microsoft Windows Network" and that's it, it doesn't let me go any further. When I try to access view Workgroup Computer I get this error message.
""workgroup_name" is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission" The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

On my desktop when I click on "View Workgroup Computers" it DOES show my laptop's computer name. When I click on it. It gives me the same message as above except the last line reads "The network path was not found."

Alright hope that was enough information. Thanks.

P.S. I have used my previous laptop for home networking and printed from it. Go figure.
[ Add to Buddies ]

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
It would appear that it's a security setting. Does your desktop have a firewall? I'd shut down the firewall and retry your network connection, if it works then you just need to fix the settings in the firewall.

Please tell me what operating system both computers are, if you have Windows 2000 there's another trick to sharing the printer...so let me know what you use and maybe I can help more.

Edited by katkat92, 02 November 2005 - 02:00 PM.

Shy-Ty

Shy-Ty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi.. Thank you for replying... both systems have Windows XP

star36

star36

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Make sure you are logged in with "Administrator" rights. If you are then check to see if you can access the network. Do this:start - Accesories - windows explorer then select My network places - microsoft windows network - name of your network . If your network does not show then you should check your TCP/IP settings under Network connections. Use "obtain IP & DNS " automatically. Hope this helps
Star