Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Reg Entry

• Please log in to reply

amucks

amucks

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello there - I'm sure that you have already said to yourself, "STAY OUT OF THE REGISTRY!!!". I know, I know....but I promise that I only occasionally check and never remove anything without guidance. That said, I'm also thinking that I have a few things going on. First, I frequently have certain words underlined in green on websites that seem to want to advertise some sort of software or another. I ran Ewido a few days ago and it hit on Need2Find which it quarantined, but I'm not sure weather or not it deleted it. Second, I get the dreaded about:blank browser hang-up when closing browsers, but it hasn't changed my homepage. Not sure why. I've ran Ewido, SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware and completed all of the steps that you outline on your welcome page, so in theory all of this stuff should be gone.
Now, before I post my HTJ log, allow me to elaborate on the mysterious reg entry. I found this entry - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Schlumberger. Now, as fate would have it I formerly worked in the credit card processing industry and I know that the Schlumberger company manufactures credit card processing terminals and PC software to run credit cards. As fate would further have it, I was in fact a fraud investigator in the Industry and I am aware of several scams whereby thieves remotely run stolen and spoofed credit card numbers, and recieve the proceeds to an account that the transactions run to. As I looked deeper into the key, it lists an entry for thier Cryptoflex e-gate which is in fact a processing platform for smart card processing. Now, I did not request this software and did not seek it out. I have been out of the Industry for several years and have no intrest in keeping up with the latest technology associated with it. So the question becomes, how did this get on my PC? I have my doubts that it comes bundled with a new Dell, but I am open to the possibility that I'm wrong. Has anyone ever heard of this? I did a Google search for it and got tons of hits relating to the software, but nothing discussing anything like this. Further, I'm aware that this may not be the appropriate forum for this particular issue, so if it needs to be moved, please do so.

Now, the HTJ log -

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:07:47 PM, on 11/2/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\ScreenPrint32 v3\ScreenPrint32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~4\MpfTray.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~4\MpfAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~3\MMDiag.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NETASS~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~4\MpfService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Jukebox\mim.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922\dlbtbmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922\dlbtbmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\eFax Messenger 4.0\J2GDllCmd.exe
C:\Program Files\eFax Messenger 4.0\J2GTray.exe
C:\Program Files\NetAssistant\bin\mpbtn.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Jimmy.DBMFCY71\My Documents\AntiSpyware\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell.ca/myway
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://bfc.myway.com...chlft.html?p=DC
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.ca.myway.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://bfc.myway.com...chlft.html?p=DC
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.ca.myway.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {4D25F926-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScreenPrint32] C:\Program Files\ScreenPrint32 v3\ScreenPrint32.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLBTCATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLBTtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~4\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] "C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MimBoot] C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~3\mimboot.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\NETASS~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] "C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell Photo AIO Printer 922] "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922\dlbtbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BuildBU] c:\dell\bldbubg.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - Global Startup: eFax DllCmd 4.0.lnk = C:\Program Files\eFax Messenger 4.0\J2GDllCmd.exe
O4 - Global Startup: eFax Tray Menu 4.0.lnk = C:\Program Files\eFax Messenger 4.0\J2GTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: NetAssistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\NetAssistant\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://groups.msn.co...UC/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F262139-1B46-4794-B5D8-44D15F091240} (CarrierD.CarrierDownload) - http://www.loadlinko...om/CarrierD.CAB
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1125105955526
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1125821595000
O16 - DPF: {78AEEDE8-7345-4FB5-A8FE-4BFF16EF25FC} (McAfee Virtual Technician Control Class) - http://us-download.m...ted/mvt/mvt.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {FC0A65F2-8DFF-4F0F-B411-D4A50311628D} (XMRADIO.XM_SystemProfiler) - http://xmro.xmradio..../xmprofiler.CAB
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
O23 - Service: dlbt_device - Dell - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlbtcoms.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~4\MpfService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe

Thanks for all you do, and I really appreaciate your anticipated help -
-Amucks

Edited by amucks, 02 November 2005 - 05:12 PM.

Advertisements

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Hi amucks,

I'm running a Compaq, and strangely enough, just checked, I have the same registry entry. Now I know almost for sure that my computer is free of any malware and hasn't ever been infected. I also have no idea how that entry is on my computer, but one thing that comes to mind is that I use my credit card occasionally for online shopping and maybe that entry was set while my card was being processed, can't know for sure..

As for your log, it appears clean except for a leftover entry..

Open HijackThis and click Scan. Put a check next to this:

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {4D25F926-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - (no file)

Close all other windows except HijackThis and click Fix Checked.

If you receive an alert from Microsoft Antispyware, allow the change.

Let's run an online scan and see if it finds anything..

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be promted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make sure that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
  • This program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

amucks

amucks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello Armodeluxe,

Thanks for your reply. I did the Kaspersky scan, and here's the result -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ON-LINE SCANNER REPORT
Monday, November 07, 2005 17:39:13
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Kaspersky On-line Scanner version: 5.0.67.0
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database last update: 7/11/2005
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database records: 158736
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan Settings:
Scan using the following antivirus database: extended
Scan Archives: true
Scan Mail Bases: true

Scan Target - My Computer:
C:\
D:\

Scan Statistics:
Total number of scanned objects: 113036
Number of viruses found: 1
Number of infected objects: 2
Number of suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan process: 4180 sec

Infected Object Name - Virus Name
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP81\A0025737.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.RedSwoosh.b
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP93\A0029221.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.RedSwoosh.b

Scan process completed.

Doesn't look too awful, but I'd like to get rid of these two peices of trash.

I re-ran HTJ and placed a check mark in the R3 item, ran it again and it appears to be gone. If you need a fresh log, let me know and I'll post a new one. Is it possible that that was responsible for the about:blank stuff that I was gettting when closing a browser?

Thanks for all of your help!!!

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
What Kaspersky found are just two files in your system restore points. Restting your system restore would take care of that:

Now let's reset your restore points.

1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

As for the blank windows you're getting the following regfix resetting some data in IE I hope would do it..but we have to temporarily disable Microsoft Antispyware as it can interfere with the regfix.

Open Microsoft AntiSpyware.
Click on Options, Settings.
In the left pane, click on Real-time Protection.
Under Startup Options uncheck Enable the Microsoft AntiSpyware Security Agents on startup (recommended).
Under Real-time spyware threat protection uncheck Enable real-time spyware threat protection (recommended).
After you uncheck these, click on the Save button and close Microsoft AntiSpyware.
Right click on the Microsoft AntiSpyware icon on the taskbar and select Shutdown Microsoft AntiSpyware.

Now please copy the following text in the code box to Notepad. Make sure there is no empty line above REGEDIT4. In Notepad go to File > Save As. Name it FixIE.reg, in the drop down box at the bottom choose "All Files", and save it on your desktop. Then double click on FixIE.reg and let it merge with the registry. Reboot afterwards. I hope that will do the trick. Please report back.

REGEDIT4 

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\URLSearchHooks]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\URLSearchHooks]
"{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497}"="" 

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\DefaultPrefix]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\DefaultPrefix]
@="http://"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\Prefixes]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\Prefixes]
"ftp"="ftp://"
"gopher"="gopher://"
"home"="http://"
"mosaic"="http://"
"www"="http://"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs]
"NavigationFailure"="res://shdoclc.dll/navcancl.htm"
"DesktopItemNavigationFailure"="res://shdoclc.dll/navcancl.htm"