Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Local Area Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Every so often the local area connection disables for a few seconds and a
window appears that says "A Network Cable is Unplugged". Then it proceeds to make cause my instant messenger to either sign me off or stop working. It is a very minor
annoyance, but because it interferes with AIM I would like to see if anyone
knows how to fix the problem.

• Pip
  • 6 posts
How do you connect to the internet? If wireless - your connection is dropping you off; this can be from a number of different reasons (router resetting, poor signal that comes and goes, etc). If you are on a wired network, could also be from different reasons such as bad cable, bad network card driver, router resetting, bad connection to your ISP, etc)

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Go into your router setup page and make sure it is configured to keep the connection open, with a reasonable refresh time.