Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Drive Recognition

• Please log in to reply

LaRae

LaRae

• Pip
  • 1 posts
<_< My brother-in-law added a 30 GB hard drive to my HP Pavilion 8380. He partitioned it and also added Windows NT because my system kept crashing when I was working in PageMaker (graphics prog.) He said NT was more stable. I've not been able to access Windows 98 for about 2 weeks. Last week NT wasn't loading. I had my son's friend come over and help me wipe the system and he installed Windows 98.

I have a HP LaserJet 5P printer. We could not install the drivers for it because I have 3.5 floppies for Win 3.1 or 3.11. Win 98 won't recognize those drivers. I could not get the drivers off the net. (Maybe I don't know where to look. I went to HP site.) They worked before...I just don't know how we got them to load prior.

The computer wasn't working very well at all, so I put the recovery disk in the CD ROM and followed the directions. It loaded. It only asked for the one disk. I have two disks. I don't know if it is ncecessary to use both.

The computer will open the programs that the recovery disk downloaded, but... I can't use "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer". It hangs EVERY time I click on either icon. CTRL, ALT, DEL will not restart the computer and "End Task" will not work accomplish anything either. I have to use the power button to restart.

It doesn't seem to recognize ANY of the drives. I did not unplug my printer or HP CD Writer 8200 series. I left everything intact when installing the recovery disk.

I am no CPU whiz. I only know how to use my software programs.

Right now the only thing it's good for is playing card games. Makes a great paperweight!! Is there any help for this poor CPU and it's owner?

Thank you in advance for ANY and ALL help! It is GREATLY appreciated!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome LaRae <_<

I'd recommend trying the recovery disk(s) again. It sounds as though the installation was incomplete. Did the installation seem to finish okay? Were there any error messages?