Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEW HARD DRIVE PROBLEM ON ME PC

• Please log in to reply

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Can anyone help. Put in a new Barracuda 120gb as a slave but it doesn't show as new hardware on startup. Tried jumpers in all positions to no avail. Atempted to get into BIOS but cannot seems to want a password to get into setup. All F keys pressed and Esc and Del but no progress. Can anyone advise how I can get my new drive started and formatted. Is Fdisk the next step?

Cheers

Paul

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi NOTEVER...

Some system specs would make this a little easier.... :tazz:

Have you tried running the software that came with your new Harddrive to set the drive up?

Are you sure you are being prompted for a password to enter setup? If so, you may have to flash the CMOS to set the defaults for BIOS. You'll need to get into BIOS setup to make sure the settings for detecting your new HDD are set to auto detect.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 03 November 2005 - 05:40 PM.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Thanks wannabe1

The pc is an Advent running millenium 256 ram 15gb drive.
I am not sure how to get into the BIOS. Pressing Del get me to a scren requesing a password to get into Setup which I presume means the BIOS. F8 gives me the option of Safe mode etc.
The new drive had came alone I thought it would be simple enough to add it to and format it as I've preciously done it on an XP machine and had no probs. Let me know if you need anything else. Whats flashing the CMOS not done that before?

Thanks again

Paul

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
NOTEVER...

Delete goes to BIOS Setup...good. Now we need to go into the case and do the following:

Since it appears you are ok about being inside the machine, let's try flashing the BIOS. To do this, you need to remove the CMOS battery. It's about the size of a quarter and is usually located in the lower right quarter of the Motherboard. Near the battery (either below or to the right on most) you should see 3 small pins with a jumper block on them. It should look like this, where the underscore represents the jumper . . . Move the jumper to the other pins . . . for about 30 seconds and then move it back to it's original position. Put the battery back in, making sure to put it in + side up.

Note that this will clear the date, time, and restore all default settings to the BIOS. You will have to reset any settings you have changed such as Boot Priority. If you are not using a static strap, keep one hand or your arm touching the metal part of the case to prevent static discharge damage to the Motherboard and it's components.

Reboot and try to enter BIOS Setup by pressing the Delete key during the boot sequence.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 04 November 2005 - 07:47 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may also want to go to the barracuda website and see if they have a setup program for that drive that will allow you to format it

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
My experience with XP is that the New Hardware wizard has to display two notices at the bottom of the screen for a drive to appear in Device Manager.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Notever
When you start your computer it will tell information about you bios.
If you need to press the Pause button (normally above the arrow keys)
What is the bios information ? You can normally get a password that will let you in.
I would not flash the bios untill I tried this 1st.

Cheers
Peterm

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Apologies for the delay in responding to all your helpful advice. Flashed the BIOS but that didn't help. Visited the Seagate site and downloaded DiskWizard which did the trick. Once again many thanks to all you guys couldn't have done it without out you

Cheers

Paul