Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home network

• Please log in to reply

d3coy

d3coy

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
hello! wat im trying to do here is get my computer off of the home network set at my house. this guy set up my dad's computer so he could not only print from his computer, but if he was doing stuff on his labtop in another room, he could also use the same printer connected to the main computer. well, unfortunately, my computer got dragged into this home network. i do a lot of online gaming, and recently i have been getting some bad connection problems. i want to get myself off the home network because i read that when people on the other network send e-mail, or browse it causes the others to lag. and that's wats happening with my computer.

aside from that, i am running on a router. when i go to view my avaiable network connections, i c the one i use "default" and then some other random connections i have never even set up, or seen before. the other ones are linksys, RespoHome, and BuzzOff. sometimes only one or two of them come up with my default, but, today all four were on. is this because im receiving from other networks in my neighborhood?? i don't kno if that's even possible. but somehow they just came up one day...it's not affecting my internet i dont think. everythings been running fine as far as internet browsing goes. but it's just weird that they're there. any help on these two issues would be greatly appreciated. thx for ur time!

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
even if you "get off" the workgroup, you are still dealing with the main connection to the ISP; unless you want to shell out the $$ for your own connection, you may just have to deal with it, or make yours the wired connection and turn everyone else to wireless

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
even if you "get off" the workgroup, you are still dealing with the main connection to the ISP; unless you want to shell out the $$ for your own connection, you may just have to deal with it, or make yours the wired connection and turn everyone else to wireless

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

EDIT: Dang it!!............. sorry bout the multi-post

Edited by kd1966, 03 November 2005 - 08:33 PM.

d3coy

d3coy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
lol no problem bout the multi post! i really dont want to fork out the money to get my own direct connection. it basically works like this. my dad uses the direct connection to the cable modem. and then i run off the router. he has a labtop that he has networked to his computer. isn't there a way for me to just get off the home network, and he can have a seperate network from his computer and the labtop? i guess if that doesn't work, i can ask him if we can just get the network off completely. opinions/suggestions on wat to do would be much appreciated. thanks again!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
lilke kd said....the network is not the issue....your internet connection is dictated by your modem which is hooked to that router....whethere you're still in the network or not...all traffic leaving your house goes through that one point....so you would still have the same issue

d3coy

d3coy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
i c....it's weird tho, because it just started happening a lil while after the network...hmmm i'll keep an eye out on my isp. thx for the help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may want to initiate a virus scan on all the computers on the network, and maybe go through some of the malware process in our malware forum.....there may be something connecting to the internet that you guys just don't know about