Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card help

• Please log in to reply

SSTODD

SSTODD

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently bought a 256mb Radeon 9600xt. I have tried and tried to get this to work and even updated my BIOS. I cannot get it to work and im at the point of sending it back. I have also before bought a Geforce 6200 256mb card and it did the same thing..... just a black screen hanging. I also borrowed my friend radeon x700 256mb and it did the same thing. I guess it might just be my mobo doesn't like 256mb cards. If you can help me get the Radeon 9600xt to work that would be great, if not please tell me what the best card would be for the below specs.

AMD Athlon xp 2800+
2 X 512mb PC2700 ram
ASUS A7V8X-LA mobo
currently have Radeon 9250 128mb card(works great, but i need better)

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You could try changing the AGP aperture size in the bios.

Fenor

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When i changed from a GF4-440 video card to a FX5200 card i had to delete the 440 drivers and install the drivers that were for the FX series card. I also got a blank screen when trying to run the 440 drivers with the 5200 card installed.

SRX660

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The 400 and the 5200 are both nvidia cards, so there is no need to uninstall the drivers when switching from one nvidia card to another. Just turn off your computer, switch cards and boot it back up and windows will detect and use the correct drivers for it.

Fenor

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
That would work if i had the unified drivers. When i bought the 440 card, it was the top of the line at
that point. Uninstalling the drivers and installing new drivers that came with the 5200 card was what worked for me.

SRX660

SSTODD

SSTODD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I believe i have found the problem, i need a 1.5v card and the 9600xt is not, but thanks for the help