Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard has locked, and why computer won't let me passed boot up

• Please log in to reply

jet_17

jet_17

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My computer has gone wrong, Yesterday I was writing an e-mail when everything closed down and I got blue screen with a countdown timer in the corner (about 30seconds), just like msblast. When I go to turn on my computer it says

"keyboard error or no keyboard present"
"keyboard is locked out - unlock the key"
the system was not corecctly shut down and now working in safe mode speed, please press "del" to bios setup table to set correct cpu speed.

I would do as it says but there is no power going to my keyboard. Please can you help me?
:tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Jet_17!

What I suggest you do is remove the power cord from the back of your computer, open the side panel on your computer (if you won't void any warranty(s) doing so, and remove the cmos battery, it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel. Leave it out for about 5 minutes. Also hit the power button a few times while the battery is out to make sure the computer is cleared. Then put the battery back in, reattach the power cord to the back of the computer and turn your computer on and see if thing are working correctly again in regards to your keyboard locked problem. We can work on your other problems after we get your mouse/keyboard both working again.

Since your wondering, doing what I told you to do will reset your computers BIOS back to it's default state, removing/resetting any settings that may have gotten messed up somehow.

Post back how things are going.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I'm going golfing soon, so I won't be back until later on this afternoon, about 6 hrs from the time-stamp on this post, so if any TT or member wants to step-in while I'm not here, feel free. :tazz:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 04 November 2005 - 08:05 AM.

jet_17

jet_17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The bios error has gone, but it still says

"keyboard error or keyboard not present"
"keyboard is locked out - unlock the key"
CMOS checksum error defaults loaded

And there is still no power going to the keyboard

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You get the checksum error because you need to reset the date and time in the BIOS, just enter SETUP and change the date and time to the current date and time..

As for your keyboard, most likely it has gone bad. I suggest you get a knew one, or borrow one from a friend to test with, and see what happens.

Fenor

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is your keyboard ps2 or usb? If usb, enter bios, go through the menus and make sure that everything related to usb is enabled.