Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

c-media wdm audio driver

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I've got Windows XP Home Edition SP2. I'm trying to remove the C-Media WDM Audio Driver but it just wont uninstall. In Add/Remove Programs i click "change/remove" & then it says that it has been uninstalled in order to complete the uninstallation it needs to restart the pc. I let it restart but then when the computer has restarted it is still there in Add/Remove programs. How can i uninstall it?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi manu08!

You need to disable the onboard audio in the BIOS of your computer.

Fenor

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Same result actually, anything else i could possibly do?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you correctly set onboard audio to disabled in the BIOS, then there's no possible way it would need to be reinstalled upon windows loading, because windows wouldn't even know it exists.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- If you are just trying to remove the listing of it in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS, then take a look at this site.

Edited by Fenor, 05 November 2005 - 04:12 PM.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Well, I'm 100% sure that I've disabled the onboard audio card from the BIOS however the "c-media audio driver" doesn't seem to get uninstalled. Is there any other way of removing this driver & possibly forbidding it from ever getting installed again because I need to install the driver from my cd (Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio) but windows keeps installing c-media audio driver, now that the audio card has been disabled windows will not reinstall it but it won't uninstall it either & when i enable the sound card, windows will install the c-media audio driver. How can i prevent this & remove it completely from my computer?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to the device listed in the DEVICE MANAGER and right click on it and select UPDATE driver (make sure you already have the soundmax cd in the drive). Then choose the options where you will install the driver from a specific location and choose your cd-rom device. You may have to navigate through it until you find the winXP folder that will contain the INF file for your sound card driver.

Fenor

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ok, well did that but no sound seems to be coming. Is there a way of completely reinstalling the sound controllers to the way it was when windows was installed or am I jumping to an impossible step?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can go into the DEVICE MANGER and double-click on your sound card listed. Then click on the DRIVER tab and select ROLL-BACK DRIVER. That should roll you back to the previous driver that was installed.

Fenor

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Well, that is something i really wouldn't bother doing as I've installed so many different drivers that i can't go back to my initial one, can I? HP sent me a driver to install which had 3 different ones i had to try out from, the cd I got with my computer had one which I had to try out & then there were the ones that windows installed by itself & the ones I got from windows update so doing a rollback doesn't look very sucessfull.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ok, right now in device manager i have C-Media AC97 Audio Device & it has a yellow exclamation mark on it. When i double click it under device status it says "The device cannot start (code 10)". What is this & how do i resolve it?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you tried just right-clicking the device with the yellow exclamation mark next to it and choosing uninstall and then rebooting your computer and letting
Windows reinstall the drivers for it?

Fenor

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yes, I've tried that, was actually the first thing I tried. Any other solutions? What exactly is causing this problem?

christinebelle

christinebelle

• Pip
  • 3 posts

after you uninstall it, but it still here, i think you can use a pc software to helps you clean your computer. And from your signature, i think maybe you want HP drivers, find it from here: HP pavilion dv6405ca Drivers Download