Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My system has slowed down

• Please log in to reply

robg2008

robg2008

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First off, a few specs. I use Windows 2000, my CPU is 2.2 GHz, I have a Geforce 6600 GT and I have 512 MB of ram. My problem started with games, but I think it's a computer-wide problem.

Well, my problem happened last night. I was playing a game when suddenly my computer locked up. Well, I had to restart it. I come back and now it seems my processor is much slower. Most the time when I try to get back into it, I get to the menu screen and after 2 seconds the screen goes blank and the CPU just sits there, doing nothing(overloaded?). When I try other games, everything is slowed down to a crawl. I've ran McAfee virus scan, spybot, spy sweeper, Xoftspy, and CWShredder and I can't find any viruses or trojans that would cause the problem. I looked at the task manager and all the processes it lists and everything seems to be normal. It's like my computer just decided to stop using half of it's processor(or some other program has decided to take over processor power). I'm not sure if it matters, but a couple weeks ago I did get the HomeSearchAssistant trojan/virus but I got it taken care of. So far I'm thinking it could either be something wrong with the hardware or some software setting was accidently changed somewhere. Anyone ran into a situation like this? Thank you for any help.

Edited by robg2008, 04 November 2005 - 04:06 PM.

Advertisements