Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help my sound problem!

• Please log in to reply

CissesHairdresser

CissesHairdresser

• Pip
  • 7 posts
HI!! Im new and dont really know what to do on here yet lol!!

Anyway my problem is that i am using a Via technologies ac'97 enhanced audio controller as my sound driver. whenever i turn my computer on after it being switched off, the audio driver has to be updated or reinstalled in order for me to have sound again!! ive tried a couple of other drivers but nothing seems to work. how can i make it where i don't have to re-install the driver every time i log on? its literally as if my computer forgets it has a sound device every time i switch off!! HELP!!

PS Could be related to Win XP SP2??

Edited by CissesHairdresser, 04 November 2005 - 05:45 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
After you install the drivers, click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for VIA Technologies and note the location of all entries

Reboot the PC, run the same search and see which are missing, and from where

CissesHairdresser

CissesHairdresser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

After you install the drivers, click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for VIA Technologies and note the location of all entries

Reboot the PC, run the same search and see which are missing, and from where

Please forgive the lateness of my reply. i have had trouble logging on to site since early hours of the morning and have only read you reply now. i will do what you say right now and report back.

Thank you kindly for your time and help!!

CissesHairdresser

CissesHairdresser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello again!!

I tried your suggestion and unless i am doing something wrong, the drivers files present after re-installation appear to still be present after re-boot. Have you any more help or advice please? This is driving me mad!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Via Tech only say this

I cannot get on my onboard audio/sound to work - what do I do now?

General trouble shooting instructions:

1) Make sure you have installed the correct audio drivers for your audio solution

2) make sure that your onboard audio is enabled in your BIOS The Basic Input/Output System is the program that microprocessors use to start computer systems. It manages data flow between the computers operating system and attached devices such as the hard disk, video card, keyboard, mouse, and printer. .

If, after doing both these things, the sound still does not work, reinstall your Operating System. If this does not work, contact your motherboard manufacturer for further support and/or have your PC checked by a technician

Based on that

Download Everest Home Edition

Run it, click + next to computer then summary, look on right for multimedia / audio adapter

This is to check XP recognises the adapter correctly

Check here that you have the correct and most recent drivers

http://www.viaarena....ID=1&CatID=1010

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

If you are unable to find anything, or are unsure if the files are correct, please post the make and model here before you download anything

You could also try using these, after uninstalling the drivers you currently have, though set a restore point first

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=4505

This will check if missing system files are the cause

Open the CD ROM Drive used to install Windows, insert the XP CD but leave the drawer open. Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, then close the CD ROM Drive drawer, You will get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot. This will check for and replace missing or corrupt system files.

Where VIA advises re-installing XP, you should use repair install methods

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

If you repair XP and it is an SP1 disc, it will remove SP2 as part of the process, though SP2 is unlikely to be the problem, you could download all the other updates in low numbers, go to add / remove to put a tick in show updates, note the additions which will be listed as hotfix / security update KB followed by a number, if you download anything from the update site which stops the sound working then you can remove it

You would need to reboot between updates to check

CissesHairdresser

CissesHairdresser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Via Tech only say this

1) Make sure you have installed the correct audio drivers for your audio solution

2) make sure that your onboard audio is enabled in your BIOS The Basic Input/Output System is the program that microprocessors use to start computer systems. It manages data flow between the computers operating system and attached devices such as the hard disk, video card, keyboard, mouse, and printer. .

If, after doing both these things, the sound still does not work, reinstall your Operating System. If this does not work, contact your motherboard manufacturer for further support and/or have your PC checked by a technician

Based on that

Run it, click + next to computer then summary, look on right for multimedia / audio adapter

If you are unable to find anything, or are unsure if the files are correct, please post the make and model here before you download anything

You could also try using these, after uninstalling the drivers you currently have, though set a restore point first

Open the CD ROM Drive used to install Windows, insert the XP CD but leave the drawer open. Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, then close the CD ROM Drive drawer, You will get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot. This will check for and replace missing or corrupt system files.

Repair XP

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

If you repair XP and it is an SP1 disc, it will remove SP2 as part of the process, though SP2 is unlikely to be the problem, you could download all the other updates in low numbers, go to add / remove to put a tick in show updates, note the additions which will be listed as hotfix / security update KB followed by a number, if you download anything from the update site which stops the sound working then you can remove it

Wow man!! Thanks for all the help, time and effort youve spent on this!! I will try all your advice now obviously this will be a long process so i will report back as soon as ive tried your suggestions!!

Once again thanks or all the help you have offered

Tony

CissesHairdresser

CissesHairdresser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Via Tech only say this

Based on that

Repair XP

Thanks for all the helpman! It is truly appreciated. i will try all your suggestions now and let you know how i get on (which could take a while lol). Thanks once again

Tony

CissesHairdresser

CissesHairdresser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi again!!

I've been following your kind advice and already i have discovered that i do have the right audio drivers installed. However when i done sfc /scannow thing, it asked me to replace files with the windows XP originals. The problem is i dont have a Windows XP Home edition disc. I bought my Laptop from Time in the UK, and when i recieved i was told that i wasn't given a disc as this was correct proceedure to combat piracy. i was issue with two "Reload/Backup CD's" instead??

Does this mean i am totally screwed? or can i use these CD's in some way. i tried inserting them when prompted for the windows xp disc, but the system was having none of it!!

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!!

Tony

(P.S does this also mean i am unable to do the windows xp repair function you also suggested?)

Thanks!!

Edited by CissesHairdresser, 06 November 2005 - 10:40 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Any XP Home CD will do, it can be one you borrow for this

A problem with reload / restore CD's is that they might only want to restore the PC to its day one condition, losing data and additional programmes

It wanting to replace files is a good sign, see what you can do for borrowing one

The repair uses a disc as well, if you got a manual with the PC, see if it says what the reload CD's will do

CissesHairdresser

CissesHairdresser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Will do!! Thanks once again Kieth!!